OP
Land Shark

Land Shark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my Scarus Quoyi Dwarf Parrotfish. He's a beautiful specimen and I've had him for a year now. If you've had one, please share your own experiences. If anyone has any questions, let me know. I'll share what I can.

Last edited:

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is stunning Land Shark! I've never had one. Maybe a good gift to one of my Children's tanks. I'm limited in size now.

Your tank is quite beautiful as well. What size is it?

Everything is exquisite my friend and thanks for the tank/critter *drool* video.

OP
OP
Land Shark

Land Shark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found another source of rust and unwanted heavy metals. Inside my ATI figture there is a strip of rusty metal. It seems my idea of positioning the fixture Just 4” over the water was a bad one.

03E75017-FBFD-4218-AE13-73DDA23734C9.jpeg

0A778680-F83B-430A-90D1-FCB3B950A6FC.jpeg

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Land Shark Your tank looks awesome being rimless. Also a great catch on the rust. Is there a way to attach a sheet of hard clear plastic to the bottom of the light to protect from further rust or rust coming off into the DT?

OP
OP
Land Shark

Land Shark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Land Shark Your tank looks awesome being rimless. Also a great catch on the rust. Is there a way to attach a sheet of hard clear plastic to the bottom of the light to protect from further rust or rust coming off into the DT?

That's not a bad idea. I'll give that some thought. The rust is up behind where the T5 sockets are mounted. For now I wiped off the loose rust and then covered what remains with some Vaseline gel. That should keep the rust particles to a minimum for a while. Perhaps it would help longer term if go over the rusty metal with plastic based paint or glue or something like that. Thoughts?

Given all this rust, its no wonder I've been battling Lead, Tin, and Zinc. During this past year I watched about $750 in beautiful SPS frags slowly die off. They were high end SPS from from Watchguy123 and Bubbaque. Oh well, now that I have a better understanding of this heavy metals issue, I've decided to get serious about water chemistry. If I can get the chemistry right and the SPS situation improves, I will upgrade the ATI fixture.

Here is what I put together over the last couple of days. Its a modified version of GlennF's DSR spreadsheet. Its still a work in progress but I think it will help.

2018-12-24_9-44-59.png

In the "Adjustment Dose" column, I figured out that a 20ml dose of Triton Core7 (2), which is mostly Calcium, raises Calcium in my tank by 50ppm. I dilute the Triton solutions 50% with RO so 20ml is really 10ml. Next I need to do the same calculations for Mg, Alk, and NO3. I will replace the X's with values after I have them figured out.

If shipping weren't so expensive for DSR products from europe, I'd just be using his minerals and calculator.

The Weekly columns like "Friday, December 21, 2018" are easy to understand once explained. For example, Core7 (1) Magnesium is entered as 0/1470. The 0 represents how many ml I'm currently dosing per day. The 1470 represents the current level in the tank. The "Ideal Set Point" for Magnesium is 1350-1370 so I'm bring it down right now.

Last edited:

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Landshark,

Glad you found your sources of tin.

Have you gotten another icp test since then? How did you remove the tin?

OP
OP
Land Shark

Land Shark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent over $80 on cuprisorb and metrasorb and then got another icp test done. The improvement wasn’t much, maybe a 10% reduction in tin. No change to the corals either.

After that I started doing large water changes and changed out about 125% of water over the course of 2 weeks. After the water changes, corals started coloring back up and looking healthy again. I haven’t purchased another icp test since the water changes so I can be sure it’s all out.

I am still using triton to maintain the water chemistry because it isn’t that expensive and I have everything setup on a controller and dosers already. That said, I’m going to keep up with water changes for what they take out of the system. I’m hoping for better results this year and this approach should help.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Land Shark

Land Shark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Land Shark - I ended up going with a pair of @Orphek - #Atlantik V4 Compact (Gen 2's) and I also bought a pair of there mounting legs for my SCA Rimless 150 build.

PayCheck For Octo.jpg
Glad to hear it. Those are nice LEDs for sure. Do you have the new lighting installed yet?

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear it. Those are nice LEDs for sure. Do you have the new lighting installed yet?

@Land Shark - Don't mean to highjack your thread mate but No not yet b/c I was waiting on my #Synergy CL-44 sump and my 10-gallon matching ATO Reservoir that will be connected to my saltwater mixing station.
I did a Dry-fit run last weekend on my plumbing for Synergy External overflow box that has 1.5inch drains. I just need to grab a few more #Cepex ball valves for my manifold and my #Turbo #Scrubber!
Feel free to follow along on my thread below:

CL-44 sump
Synergy CL44 SU,P 7 ATO.jpg

1.5inch Spears gate valve for the MAIN drain
Drain2.jpeg

My main Drain
drains.jpeg

OP
OP
Land Shark

Land Shark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Land Shark - Don't mean to highjack your thread mate but No not yet b/c I was waiting on my #Synergy CL-44 sump and my 10-gallon matching ATO Reservoir that will be connected to my saltwater mixing station.
I did a Dry-fit run last weekend on my plumbing for Synergy External overflow box that has 1.5inch drains. I just need to grab a few more #Cepex ball valves for my manifold and my #Turbo #Scrubber!
Feel free to follow along on my thread below:

CL-44 sump
Synergy CL44 SU,P 7 ATO.jpg

1.5inch Spears gate valve for the MAIN drain
Drain2.jpeg

My main Drain
drains.jpeg

That's one nice build you have going and I like the pic and story about your very real shark attack. You are a lucky dude because that injury could easily have been a lot worse. Following.

OP
OP
Land Shark

Land Shark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a real pleasure having this tank but my life is changing and with that will be a move. As a result, the entire Reef Savvy 109 setup will be going up for sale later this week. First to go will be fish and corals, then live rock, display tank with stand, ATI light fixture, Royalexclusiv dreambox, Royalexclusiv 180 skimmer, DC pumps, GHL controllers and all components. Please feel free to PM for more details.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 104 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back