Lanthanum without a skimmer?

LgTas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually don't have any mechanical filtration at all. At the moment I have to dose nitrate but my phosphates are around 1.5 ppm... I suspect the rocks I purchased off a fellow Reefer are still leaching.

The plan is to drip dose into the return chamber of my sump which then flows to my filter sock holders. I'll add two 5 micron socks to catch precipitation. I don't own a skimmer. Any problems with this?

Also any issues just grabbing lanthanum from the pool section at the hardware store or should I stick to reef brands?

Mrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds smart that you will drip slowly and using fine micron socks to help prevent issues with sensitive fish

A friend of mine used off brand and had no issues. Whether there is any difference I can’t say- I just felt more comfortable using
store brands, most recently brightwell phosphate e with no issues.

Good luck - I don’t drip mine regularly. Only need to use sporadically if ever needed and generally prefer gfo as my main po4 reducer

OP
OP
LgTas

LgTas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! yeah I've read a bunch of threads and articles but can't seem to find a consensus. The one local reef brand I have access to specifically says not to use without a skimmer which I found confusing.

In any case, I will start slowly and see how I go.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 56.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.8%
Back