Large fossilized Megalodon shark tooth - okay in my tank?

MissingYuengling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a a large fossilized megalodon shark tooth I was going to place in my 100g tank, but just curious if that is a bad idea for my water chemistry. On one hand, it sat in the ocean for millions of years. On the other, it might have absorbed chemicals I don’t want like heavy metals. Curious if anyone knows the science.

Thanks.

Rennurdoar

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a a large fossilized megalodon shark tooth I was going to place in my 100g tank, but just curious if that is a bad idea for my water chemistry. On one hand, it sat in the ocean for millions of years. On the other, it might have absorbed chemicals I don’t want like heavy metals. Curious if anyone knows the science.

Thanks.

You at least have to post pictures :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: :face-with-tears-of-joy: :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fossils "science" is applied chemistry, with perhaps a little geology mixed in? The cartilaginous fishes didn't have bones so to fossilize a tooth would require substitution of cartilage with minerals. I don't know why, but I suspect a fossilized tooth isn't going to dissolve very much in water, and I don't thing they would have much lead or copper or silver in their teeth because as far as we know there were no dentists to fill cavities for sharks that became fossils. There isn't likely loose metals to worry about unless it was mounted with a fitting for jewlery? We do need to see this to be sure.

Monster Fish GIF by Shanti Eyewear
In Summary, I think it will be fine, but like Dr @Asagi mentioned you will need to brush it too keep it from looking decayed.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It shouldn't dissolve, no. It's a rock with some mineral-infused enamel on it- enamel doesn't break down like the rest of the tooth. There is a chance it could have absorbed something that might leach out, though. Could always try leaving it in a cup of saltwater for awhile, then sending a sample of that water off to be tested.

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 do a test run.
Soak it in some RO to see if anything leaches. Then you can test against a TDS meter to start.
Then move to Saltwater and run the standard tests.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I thought about a RO water soak also, but I don't know if completely pure water would cause leaching of harmless minerals that wouldn't leach into saltwater. Though, no harm in finding out, I suppose. Just keep in mind that a reading on the TDS meter might be something dangerous, or might be something entirely harmless.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Nothing should leach. Shark teeth fall off in ocean and captivity frequently. . . would be comparable to sea shells.
Would love to see a pic (hint-hint)

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh, yeah, a shark tooth wouldn't leach anything appreciable, but a fossil might. A fossil is, essentially, a mineral growth in the shape of whatever used to be there. It's a rock.

That reminds me, I have some fish bones I ought to pop in my tank.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I doubt someone would do this, but depending on where you got it, it could possibly have a coating applied to it, either to enhance shine or to further preserve the specimen. Also are you sure it is an actual fossil and not a high end replica? Asking because I imagine there are come nice replica/display pieces out there.

Briansreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dive for these regularly and have a nice collection. I have also had them in my reef aquariums and there have been no negative results. It will get covered in coralline but a vinegar soak will clean it. That being said i’d never vinegar soak a high quality tooth but rather clean with a dremel tool. So I use nice teeth but ones chipped or otherwise not in perfect condition. I was actually just thinking of offering some for sale in the Market place here. Perhaps I will post some soon.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 23 41.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back