Large FOWLR No Protein Skimmer

Do you run a protein skimmer on a large FOWLR with no other nutrient export method in the sump?

• Yes - Always a skimmer

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • No - Not necessary

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Not Anymore - Taken offline

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've run large FOWLRS for about 13 years and some smaller reef tanks always with a protein skimmer.

My question is to you hobbyist with actual large FOWLR tank experience over 180g with carnivores i.e. puffers, triggers, Harlequin Tusk etc..

Do you run a protein skimmer?

Question is in regards to a skimmer only. I understand refugiums, carbon dosing, bio-pellets are other methods of export some of which I have previously incorporated. Do you run a skimmer only setup?

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience skimmer is even more important with fowlr - reasons being:

1. Coral can uptake enough nutrients that many people have to dose phosphate and nitrate. This sequestering is absent in n fish only
2. The bioload tends to be much higher in fish only systems, sometimes drastically so. Tremendous food inputs and fish outputs…
3. Skimmers provide several benefits besides nutrient reduction such as oxygen exchange. Most reefs don’t have low oxygen issues, but fish only tend to have lower flow so less gas exchange in DT, and as above higher bioload increasing demand
4. Considering the above items skimmers are a relatively inexpensive option to add to a fowlr tank. Sure the up front isn’t cheap but running cost is pretty inexpensive of 30-60w and most last many years if not decades maybe swapping an impeller.

of course there are fowlr systems that don’t use them, but they are one of the big advantages of keeping monster fish sw vs FW - freshwater monster keepers have to address these issues in other ways typically with gigantic filtration systems and many air stones in tank.

I personally with my new fish only build am running a reefmat for clarity and a skimmer.

Last edited:

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would at least run a canister filter with floss and carbon. Don't use carbon that would cause HLLE. I want to run one on my reef because it would catch the crap that is blown off the rocks and fish crap that goes into a power head. Definitely would make for clearer water.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FOWLR tanks are almost always heavily stocked resulting is high dissolved organic levels. Skimmers work well in that environment. I'd put this in the no-brainer categiry.

OP
OP
K

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I've always run a skimmer myself on every tank. I actually just upgraded from a NYOS160 to the larger 220.. as I'm staring at it, I'm thinking do I need this. Again, I'm an experienced fish keeper over a decade in saltwater and same in freshwater before that. Always curious to learn and understand everyones perspective. I plan on keeping the skimmer and purchased the larger model to eventually transition to the 400g range.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 66 46.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 48 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back