Large-ish tank planning

reefhaus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a Vault!!! That’s awesome. Would you be willing to use some of the wet bar area/under the stairs?

OP
OP
phillygeeks

phillygeeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a Vault!!! That’s awesome. Would you be willing to use some of the wet bar area/under the stairs?
If only the vault had money in it, rather than storage!!! I think drilling through the concrete is a feasible option after talking to my buddy. I have quite a bit of equipment I would like easy access to or I am not sure I would continue with the project. I kind of feel the fish room is a necessity for me to proceed.

OP
OP
phillygeeks

phillygeeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mason coming out to give me an estimate. My plans are to have the three 1.5 in drains from the herbie style bean animal drain running to the sump. I also need to consider two 0.75 inch return lines. Aside from those and room for the electrical and then the utility sink plumbing, is there anything else of significant size I should consider making a hole for?

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mason coming out to give me an estimate. My plans are to have the three 1.5 in drains from the herbie style bean animal drain running to the sump. I also need to consider two 0.75 inch return lines. Aside from those and room for the electrical and then the utility sink plumbing, is there anything else of significant size I should consider making a hole for?

I think you've probably thought of everything. If you're drilling holes just drill an extra one just in case. If they are already there, might as well. FWIW you can also look around for concrete cutting/coring companies in your area. They should have access to equipment and also have the skills to locate and avoid rebar before drilling. Not super important but definitely can help:)

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be something I need to look into that I didn't know was distinct. Thanks

No problem, they do exist, if theres one thing I learned building bridges it's that if there is a somewhat unique kind of tool or process, theres typically some type of company that specializes in it. We typically did the drilling ourselves unless there was something specific like deep drilling. But the cutting we always left to the pros. Mostly because our company didn't see the need to spend 100s of thousands of dollars on concrete cutting equipment.

OP
OP
phillygeeks

phillygeeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ultimately, I think Gaston at tankmeUSA is doing very well as it is actually easier to get a timely response from Reef Savvy. I placed my deposit in the mail for a 72x30x24 tank built by Reef Savvy earlier this week and had the concrete cutters over today to get started and should be done tomorrow morning. I guess at this point I need to start a build thread in the near future

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 26 28.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 28.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 34 36.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.3%
Back