Large Single White Spot On Damsel Fish

William Glazer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today one out of three of my blue yellow tail damsel fish obtained a mysterious white spot on its back fin. To large to be ick and im thinking its Lymphocystis or some fungal issue. Any ideas? This is a new tank, and after cycling they were put in first. A little over week after adding them I added a cleaner crew(last friday). There is only one spot and the fish acts completely normal. Water checks look good, just looking for some extra help with the ID of this.

20170911_235822.png

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef, William!

I agree - this looks like Lymphocystis to me as well. Good water, supplementation to his food, ideal conditions, and it should fade into a distant memory. It could have been something else though - both ich and velvet are rampant in the pipeline these fish are coming to us through. A quarantine tank wouldn't be a bad idea for future fish . . .

~Bruce

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree - this looks like Lymphocystis to me as well. Good water, supplementation to his food, ideal conditions, and it should fade into a distant memory. It could have been something else though - both ich and velvet are rampant in the pipeline these fish are coming to us through. A quarantine tank wouldn't be a bad idea for future fish . . .

~Bruce
Agree on all fronts.

The fish almost appears to have a light white "dusting" on it, is that an accurate observation, or the photo?

OP
OP
William Glazer

William Glazer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

~Bruce

Thanks for your observation and advice Bruce!

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great advice here! I agree with the lympho diagnosis. Welcome to R2R William!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 58 42.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 67 48.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.8%
Back