Large stomatella or something bad?

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This critter is on the front glass. Has been on there since I came upstairs 2 hours ago and all lights still out. Took best pics I could get based on it’s location and reflections on the glass.
thank you!
58383E52-5F4B-48B8-B729-96756D6F2275.jpeg
5378B486-2DF8-409D-B651-2B892C8B1DB3.jpeg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you!

I'm not 100% sure this is true, but I think any mollusk that spends long periods of time on the glass is most likely a herbivore and shouldn't be a problem in your tank. I collect some rather strange (to me) mollusks when we go snorkeling in the Florida Keys and that's always been my rule of thumb. Besides, I volunteer at the Baily Mathews National Shell Museum and I can take any live mollusk I have there and odds are 98% that they can identify it.

This is the only facility in the entire world that has live Junonia mollusks in captivity (and on display for the public). These shells wash up on the beaches of Sanibel Island very rarely. It turns out they are a deep water mollusk and live in 150' of water miles off shore.

Junonia.jpg

You can see more and read about some of their research here:

OP
OP
Doglips56

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not 100% sure this is true, but I think any mollusk that spends long periods of time on the glass is most likely a herbivore and shouldn't be a problem in your tank. I collect some rather strange (to me) mollusks when we go snorkeling in the Florida Keys and that's always been my rule of thumb. Besides, I volunteer at the Baily Mathews National Shell Museum and I can take any live mollusk I have there and odds are 98% that they can identify it.

This is the only facility in the entire world that has live Junonia mollusks in captivity (and on display for the public). These shells wash up on the beaches of Sanibel Island very rarely. It turns out they are a deep water mollusk and live in 150' of water miles off shore.

Junonia.jpg

You can see more and read about some of their research here:
Thank you for the info! The shell kinda looks like stomatella but when I first saw it when lights were still off it looked at least twice the size of any stomatella I’ve ever seen. Once the lights came on and my file fish and wrasses showed just enough interest to check it out it contracted it’s “foot” to at least 1/2 the previous size. It was really difficult to get good pictures because it is fairly large tank and it was on the front glass and the tank is against the wall.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back