What’s growing on my leather coral?

chiroboy126

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I tried to take the best pictures possible under white lighting but phone cameras are only so good. There’s this weird critter growing on my leather coral. It’s either growing on the coral’s base or on the frag plug. It seems to have little antennae or pincers at the top of it. And does react when disturbed. Has anyone ever seen this critter? Is it good or bad and if it’s bad, what should I do to get rid of it?

Thank you all in advance!

IMG_5613.jpeg IMG_5614.jpeg IMG_5615.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a large Vermetid snail of some kind (though the base of the tube being made with the substrate like that is pretty unique, and would indicate to me that it's probably actually built on the frag plug under the sand). The big species aren't generally invasive from what I've seen, but it does look like you have some vermetid tubes from smaller species to the right of the big one in your last pic.

Personally, given the location there, if the big one isn't bothering the coral, I'd personally be tempted to keep it. You probably want to get rid of the small ones though (the small ones are generally invasive).

OP
OP
chiroboy126

chiroboy126

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a large Vermetid snail of some kind (though the base of the tube being made with the substrate like that is pretty unique, and would indicate to me that it's probably actually built on the frag plug under the sand). The big species aren't generally invasive from what I've seen, but it does look like you have some vermetid tubes from smaller species to the right of the big one in your last pic.

Personally, given the location there, if the big one isn't bothering the coral, I'd personally be tempted to keep it. You probably want to get rid of the small ones though (the small ones are generally invasive).
Thank you! What’s the best way to get rid of them?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back