Large systems...Custom Built Sump? Converted an aquarium into Sump? or Stock Tank Sump?

Large systems...Custom Built Sump? Converted an aquarium into Sump? or Stock Tank Sump?

• Custom Built

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Converted a tank into a sump

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Stock Tank

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious what people with larger systems are using for sumps...Lots of people with 3, 4, 500 gallon displays and I'm sure they like big sumps to bump up their total overall water volume too...

If you went the custom route, who built your sump for you or did you build it yourself? If you converted a tank into a sump, how large of a tank did you use?

I personally have a combination of both...a custom sump and aquariums converting into sumps. I have my Synergy Reef sump plumbed into a 65G tank which was suppose to be a refugium, but currently is being used as a frag tank. Below the Sump and 65G tank is a 100-something tank (can't remember) which runs about half full when the system is running, but when power fails it fills to within a few inches of the top.

Last edited:

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is hidden in the fish room so a stock tank is all I needed. I'll be building a small 12x12" glass box with baffle for my return pump to sit in to remove bubbles and have more precise ATO.

I'd rather spend the money on the tech side and the inhabitants. Maybe one day I'll upgrade to a show-sump :)

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sump is in the basement below my tank and is a 100 gal Rubbermaid stock tank. It holds plenty of rock and allows me to do what I need from an equipment standpoint.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 197 70.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 21 7.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 53 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 2.9%
Back