Large Volume, No Skimmer?

Ritual Aquatics

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 9, 2024
Messages
17
Reaction score
8
Location
Seattle
What state or country do you live in
Washington
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All,

I currently run a few 50G set ups as high-end SPS tanks fully stocked with fish, but am looking to upgrade a main display closer to the 200G total volume range. I don't have any skimmers on these set-ups. Does anyone at this larger (150G+) size not run a skimmer? I prefer not to on my current tanks, but just wondering what success folks have had with no skimmer at that volume, as I'd rather not use a skimmer and just rely on heavy biofiltration in the sump.

Welcome to any experiences both positive or negative, just working on budgeting my buildout.

Appreciate it!
 
Here's a 500 gallon mixed reef @ 4 years without a skimmer:



Here's Feldman, et al, research on skimmers and organic carbon, they don't do much for DOC compared to what the cryptic sponges(1000X faster) in your system are doing and skew the microbe numbers

Total Organic Carbon Pt 1
https://reefs.com/magazine/total-organic-carbon-toc-and-the-reef-aquarium-an-initial-survey-part-i/
Total Organic Carbon Pt 2
https://reefs.com/magazine/total-organic-carbon-toc-and-the-reef-aquarium-an-initial-survey-part-ii/
Protein Skimmer Performance, Pt 1
https://reefs.com/magazine/the-deve...ve-evaluation-of-protein-skimmer-performance/
Protein Skimmer Performance, Pt 2
https://reefs.com/magazine/further-studies-on-protein-skimmer-performance/
Elemental Analysis of Skimmate
https://reefs.com/magazine/elementa...-skimmer-actually-remove-from-aquarium-water/
Bacterial Counts in Reef Aquarium Water
https://reefs.com/magazine/bacteria...ing-and-granular-activated-carbon-filtration/
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 9 52.9%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 9 52.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new