Large volume water mixing solutions for crowded spaces

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was wondering if I had a /ton/ of water movement would it help my mix time? I use Instant ocean/Reef Crystals so I know people say it should mix at least 24 hours and that's a long time to have so many buckets out and heating.
I mix my IO in about 15 20 min too.

I use a maxi jet 1200.

Just mix it till it’s clear. Why others do t , I don’t know.

IO was just under 800 grams to get 35ppt in 5 g.

Clownfish2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need 2 trash cans on flower-pot dollys. I paid $45 for each 44gallon trash can and the flower pot dolly from Home Depot for $15 I think (max payload about 500 pounds per dolly)

About to do a water change. I roll my can from the closet to my wife’s living room area. I roll it back to my closet when guests come over
2F860094-689C-42D4-B149-FA8BBF4644EF.jpeg

This is my man closet....RODI, saltwater, Copeods, RC helicopters, and clothes
84B19A40-BF38-4F3A-A48D-4798BB7E0A6D.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix my IO in about 15 20 min too.

I use a maxi jet 1200.

Just mix it till it’s clear. Why others do t , I don’t know.

IO was just under 800 grams to get 35ppt in 5 g.
That makes me feel a lot better, I always worried about that since it seems a bit extreme to mix for 24 hours but I often see people asking in problem threads how long they mixed their new water.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes me feel a lot better, I always worried about that since it seems a bit extreme to mix for 24 hours but I often see people asking in problem threads how long they mixed their new water.
Weather they know it or not , one thing to look for sometimes is actually the ph. If it’s super fresh rodi water there is little to no oxygen in it not co2. So fresh salt mixed , fresh rodi , can swing ph hard when added to the tank.
If the rodi sits , the ph equalizes. Or you can mix the salt a while and accomplish the same thing.

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weather they know it or not , one thing to look for sometimes is actually the ph. If it’s super fresh rodi water there is little to no oxygen in it not co2. So fresh salt mixed , fresh rodi , can swing ph hard when added to the tank.
If the rodi sits , the ph equalizes. Or you can mix the salt a while and accomplish the same thing.
Oh neat I didn't know that was the thing that long mixing was fixing, so I'll make sure to oxygenate or test PH before doing any changes.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was trying to tell my mom :rolleyes: hopefully being able to show her that link for the $70 buckets might convince her that trash cans are good.
Negotiating, problem solving and budgeting are skills that you will be able to use your entire life.
[emoji4]

Negotiating is probably the most important when dealing with other people.
[emoji4]

Between the math, chemistry, animal husbandry and problem solving your tank is doing more for you than an adults tank where we just miss being stationed in Hawaii and living near the ocean.
[emoji4]

Happy Reefing!

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Negotiating, problem solving and budgeting are skills that you will be able to use your entire life.
[emoji4]

Negotiating is probably the most important when dealing with other people.
[emoji4]

Between the math, chemistry, animal husbandry and problem solving your tank is doing more for you than an adults tank where we just miss being stationed in Hawaii and living near the ocean.
[emoji4]

Happy Reefing!
I'll gladly show her this make it seem more beneficial :D

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back