Large white spot/pustule on tail of Goby. Thoughts?

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Large white pustule, at the bottom of his tail fin, only one I’ve seen on him so far. Appears to be eating fine.
9429EE83-AA95-486F-A05E-4E47CC083548.jpeg
37A05D97-3DC7-462E-A5B5-67B6BCC16968.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not seen that on a mandarin fish before, but that sure looks like it could be a xenoma; a pustule of protozoans caused by Microsporidians or Myxozoans (These always confuse me, I don't know which is which). A positive diagnosis would require sampling it and looking under a microscope. However, there is no effective treatment for either of these issues. The only treatment is supportive care - feeding the fish well, keeping good water quality and hoping for the best.

Jay

OP
OP
ReefHunter006

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s unfortunate to hear. Thanks for the information though. The only recent additions were some bumble snails so I guess it must of hitched a ride with those.

I assume all other fish are exposed at this point as well so removing them isn’t going to solve anything. Might actually save me from decimating my corals since catching them is a pain.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s unfortunate to hear. Thanks for the information though. The only recent additions were some bumble snails so I guess it must of hitched a ride with those.

I assume all other fish are exposed at this point as well so removing them isn’t going to solve anything. Might actually save me from decimating my corals since catching them is a pain.

Actually, these protozoans are VERY species-specific, each type only infects certain limited species of fish. I think that any other fish in the tank (aside from other mandarins) are most likely safe from this issue.

jay

OP
OP
ReefHunter006

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay, really appreciate the help.
Actually, these protozoans are VERY species-specific, each type only infects certain limited species of fish. I think that any other fish in the tank (aside from other mandarins) are most likely safe from this issue.

jay

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 34 35.4%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 52 54.2%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 4.2%
Back