Largest clams in private aquariums?

djreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the big reasons why the largest clam I think I’d ever to keep would be a derasa. We have half a dozen 8” saphire maximas at the store, and to be truthful I’m thinking those would be plenty big enough.

DJ

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deresa clams get huge! Not my pic.
AW31107.jpg

justin.k.nelson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a fan of using giant clams as center pieces for our reefs, and a peninsula style tank with a showpiece clam would be a sight to see. They make the perfect colorful accent to a large reef. But I have learned that they present a unique challenge when they reach a certain size in proportion to the rest of the aquarium contents like live, rock, corals, and fish. I've found this out the hard way after growing my 30" Gigas for almost 10 years. When a clam or anything for that matter becomes the largest living structure in a reef, it will create its own little reef within a reef, and what makes clams very unique is that they have the ability to directly feed the inhabitants that seek shelter in the contours of the mantle and shell. Everyday at least twice a day the clam belches a smorgasbord of food that the fish love to devour. So with time they will associate the clam with food and eventually they will take a bite. I can't tell how may fish I've gone through over the years that all started off as "clam safe" only to turn the clam into an 100+lb buffet. Then comes the filtration capacities of these monsters when it comes to their consumption of N and Ps. It is very hard to quantify but I can tell you it is significant. When the clam is "ON" it can filter a 500+ gallon system. Finally the calcium and alk demand is incredible. I use 3 cups of BRS CACL and 3 cups of baking soda every week. I think these are just a few things that make owning a large clam uniquely challenging, and why I think many people get rid of large clams once they get to a certain size. When my Gigas dies I don't see myself getting another, even if it was given to me. In my opinion it really limits your options when it comes to fish and corals. Also what do you if a 100+lb clam dies in your tank? Or spawns? Which it does every summer.
P1170590.JPG

I was able to resolve some of my issues by using 3 tanks instead of one large "clam tank". 2- 36"x30"x25 and the clam tank is 60"x30"x31".
P1170660.JPG

P1170587.JPG

I love this tank, that clam is huge in person! Good to see you on here Troy!

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh @Yuki Rihwa :)
Yer gonna need a bigger tank.
Well, I have 10x4x4 foots tank But I'm not sure my Tesselata leave them alone or it will be like "OMG, yummy! there free meals in the tank...." :p
Edit:
Forgot to mention there is a foot long Clown trigger in there with few other large predator fishes too! I'm pretty sure the trigger will make a good meals outta these clams LOL. Anyway, I'm already looking to setup a 6x2x2 tank focus to keep clams only next year, in the worse cases if I can't make it I'll shout out on here for free pickup so until then....:p

Last edited:

xjiang7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All three systems are plumbed together with a single 75 gallon sump under the center tank. A Vertex 250 skimmer which I cycle on and off, 2 medical dosing pumps for CA and Alk, and Sicce 5 and a 1900gph DC pump for return.
IMG_20160829_185658802.jpg

When I changed to the new system I lost the Xenia refugium I was running for years. This was a critical part of my old system. I have been trying to build the population of Xenia back up to its former glory so I can turn the skimmer off permanently again.

Here is a video of the Xenia fuge that filtered my last system, and what I am trying to achieve again. I have a 30 gallon tall tank in the right stand that will be used for this once I get a enough Xenia.

I am currently running a Kenya tree refugium. It wasn’t my idea but these things just grow too fast and refuse to die!
063d93567f23657e8b1d76ee5098ce26.jpg

danielsalt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first few times I was very nervous. I did massive water changes because my skimmer was going nuts. Then it kept on doing it night after night. I gave up on the water changes and just let whatever was going to happen, happen. There was nothing I could do about it anyways. Luckily nothing happened, and like someone already mentioned the fauna appeared to be healthier afterwards. The polyp extension on the SPS was incredible. Now every summer around July/August it will spawn for a week or so. I just ignore that I can barly see into the tank because of the cloud it produces.

Here is a video of mine spawning over 5 years ago. This is very mild compared to what it produces now.

Thank you!

Good question.

I wondered this myself until it started to grow and grow. To a point where it would blow water out of the tank when it was startled or belched. I've gone through several MH bulbs because of this. This is one of the main reasons why I upgraded tanks a year ago. I needed a tank deeper than the 8'x2'x2' 240 that it was in. This tank has seen many large clams over the years, and most I've donated to other hobbyist once they get too large for me to easily maintain without causing harm to the other inhabitants.

This pic is from June 2012. (left to right) 9" Teardrop Maxima, 18" Gigas, 5" Squamosa, 14" Squamosa
P1030983.jpg

August 2016 This is the last pic of the system before the upgrade.
P1140669_zpsa9ucovej.jpg

Absolutly fabulus display and clam, I tip my hat!

drblakjak55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do grow em big in Texas. I recently bought my 2” maxima at a Reefapalooza with quite a few to chose. Wish I bought two. 3yr old 90g mixed reef. My problem is every morning the Coris wrasse knocks the clam all over the tank. Always opens up and happy in whatever position it ends up. But somehow I think it might be happier more settled. Now on substrate. Any suggestions.

Bob E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a fan of using giant clams as center pieces for our reefs, and a peninsula style tank with a showpiece clam would be a sight to see. They make the perfect colorful accent to a large reef. But I have learned that they present a unique challenge when they reach a certain size in proportion to the rest of the aquarium contents like live, rock, corals, and fish. I've found this out the hard way after growing my 30" Gigas for almost 10 years. When a clam or anything for that matter becomes the largest living structure in a reef, it will create its own little reef within a reef, and what makes clams very unique is that they have the ability to directly feed the inhabitants that seek shelter in the contours of the mantle and shell. Everyday at least twice a day the clam belches a smorgasbord of food that the fish love to devour. So with time they will associate the clam with food and eventually they will take a bite. I can't tell how may fish I've gone through over the years that all started off as "clam safe" only to turn the clam into an 100+lb buffet. Then comes the filtration capacities of these monsters when it comes to their consumption of N and Ps. It is very hard to quantify but I can tell you it is significant. When the clam is "ON" it can filter a 500+ gallon system. Finally the calcium and alk demand is incredible. I use 3 cups of BRS CACL and 3 cups of baking soda every week. I think these are just a few things that make owning a large clam uniquely challenging, and why I think many people get rid of large clams once they get to a certain size. When my Gigas dies I don't see myself getting another, even if it was given to me. In my opinion it really limits your options when it comes to fish and corals. Also what do you if a 100+lb clam dies in your tank? Or spawns? Which it does every summer.
P1170590.JPG

I was able to resolve some of my issues by using 3 tanks instead of one large "clam tank". 2- 36"x30"x25 and the clam tank is 60"x30"x31".
P1170660.JPG

P1170587.JPG

I mean WOW. now this is impressive

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seem like Squamosa and Gigas extremely rare to get nowadays! and pretty much none Crocea in most LFS (I'm not talking online store).

djreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seem like Squamosa and Gigas extremely rare to get nowadays! and pretty much none Crocea in most LFS (I'm not talking online store).

It’s because clams really don’t sell. The’re spendy, and too much bad press about them online scares folks off. The big Saphire maximas we have, have been with us for months and months.

DJ

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s because clams really don’t sell. The’re spendy, and too much bad press about them online scares folks off. The big Saphire maximas we have, have been with us for months and months.

DJ
Clams gone really quick in our area (No, I didn't buy them all :p)
I bought like 2 and the rest were gone within 1 or 2 weeks, each shipment around 10 Maxima clams mixed size from 2~3 inches. However, Derasa clams not good at selling point due to dull color compare to Maxima. Also, wild caught Maxima sell slow too due to the size (5+ inches) and a lot people now really into nano tank for offices and kitchen counter at home, thanks to easy all in one aquarium package like fluval spec or Evo 13.5...etc.
Edit:
There is none Squamosa, Gigas or Crocea in any shipment, while Hippopus got mixed in quite often.

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One day, I want to have a REALLY BIG clam. I'd like to grow one over the span of several years to be a monster.

simonsays

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually picked a maxima up at petco when getting cat food. They originally had 3, two maxima and a derasa. The higher grade maxima and derasa were empty shells. Bought the other out of fear for its life.

Did not expect it to live. That was 4 months ago. So far all is well. It’s about 2.5-3 inches. It has a new scallops on the shell and the mantle is significantly larger.

Just realized my peppermint shrimp molted in the photo! I’m too lazy to take another. Also battling cyno... ugh.

2556C4C8-574E-42C7-8947-B445A882325E.jpeg

3EAF8021-4B62-4F24-BC95-707186938155.jpeg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 34 30.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 40 35.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back