Largest clams in private aquariums?

Initialr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for share more detail, I don't want to change the topic of the thread so I'll just ask one last question, is there anywhere you could recommend on gathering more information on how this works/set up

Good question.
Back in late 90s while I was in college I read a wonderful book by Eric Borneman called Aquarium Corals: Selection, Husbandry, and Natural History. Eric goes into some detail about Xeniid behavior in the wild, and that they are "some of the first colonizers of the reef" also they can be found at waste water pipes from hotels. Basically mother nature uses them in high nutrient environments to clean thing up for life to flurish. I figured if it works in the wild why not a home. So knowing that in 1999-2000ish I started to employ this method. It took a few years to "figure it out" and grow the population large enough to suit the needs of the system. But once I dialed it in for me there is nothing better than having a filtration that grows with the need of the system.

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank was pushing capacity limits with the amount of Tangs that I had, but I used 3 auto feeders and I put 2 sheets of nori in daily. Unfortunately my Sohal decided that the Gigas was a tasty treat, so I had to sell him. I also sold the blochii, sailfin, and both vlamingiis. Everyone seems much happier (the gigas is fine). But it was great until then.
Awe sorry about having to sell your fish. Glad things are happier now. We just pulled my purple tang out of the 300 yesterday, it was getting bullied and causing unrest in the tank. Things seemed to have settled down today. We put the purple in quarantine. Plan to put in our 93 gal, but know we have ick in the 300
Which I can’t see anymore after a year of ick maintenance but don’t want to take any chances so quarantining the purple first. Thanks for the reply. We have a 10” Sohal in a 180gal fish only with several large angels, puffer, eel, and triggers. She is a model citizen. Over 10 years old we rescued her from a smaller tank. I know the 180 is quite big enough either but so far she seems fat and happy and doesn’t bother anyone else.
No clams here to chicken to try them although really appreciate their beauty!

5D72BB10-45B6-43C7-8E1B-0E7E91536E90.jpeg

AE126ED1-6711-4BED-8702-848601B41091.jpeg

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question.
Back in late 90s while I was in college I read a wonderful book by Eric Borneman called Aquarium Corals: Selection, Husbandry, and Natural History. Eric goes into some detail about Xeniid behavior in the wild, and that they are "some of the first colonizers of the reef" also they can be found at waste water pipes from hotels. Basically mother nature uses them in high nutrient environments to clean thing up for life to flurish. I figured if it works in the wild why not a home. So knowing that in 1999-2000ish I started to employ this method. It took a few years to "figure it out" and grow the population large enough to suit the needs of the system. But once I dialed it in for me there is nothing better than having a filtration that grows with the need of the system.

That's pretty interesting. I've looked at some tanks with huge colonies of GSP and had a similar thought. Oddly enough I have a frag of GSP that I don't want to use in my new display, but was considering placing in the secondary fuge to see what would happen. I may have to move forward with that idea.

ramona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question.
Troy, could you please detail on "figure it out" for beginners! ;Bookworm

Troy V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for share more detail, I don't want to change the topic of the thread so I'll just ask one last question, is there anywhere you could recommend on gathering more information on how this works/set up
Not sure if there is any useful literature on the application of Xenia as a refugium. But I have found some interesting articles about Xenia the coral. The best way would be to ask around from people who have applied it successfully. Here is an interesting study about Xenia to read.
http://jeb.biologists.org/content/jexbio/215/20/3672.full.pdf

Shigshwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my Biota derasa, clocking in at over 10 inches. It has lots of blue striping, something I'd never seen in a derasa before! I admit though, Biota did all of the growing for me, I bought it this way.
received_10209951732069834.jpeg

Denver_Josh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoaa!! They can really suck some trace elements when they are happy. Good work!

What type/brand of CA, Alk, and Mag are you using? And in what concentration?
Bulk reef supply at their reccomended levels. I got nervous that my test kits were off, so I’m using Hannah checkers, along with Red Sea and sailfert test kits just to make sure.

Back