last quick question regarding set up of additional tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter saltyfins
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

saltyfins

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 2, 2020
Messages
1,060
Reaction score
1,064
Location
Spokane
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up an additional tank, and transferring rock from a smaller one. the Salinity is at 20 and the alk is at 9.5! that's too high of alk., for me. I like to run 7.5-8.5.
but I am really confused as to how this is so unbalanced, I am using RC and a refractometer for measuring. checks out with 2 other tanks.

Thanks for the assistance :)
 
My honest opinion on this , don't hate me, but 8 to 12 is a good range for dKH, I shoot for 9.5 to 10. Salinity at 20 is low for a reef tank, 32 to 35 is the norm. If your growing corals they will love the dKH in this range
 
That stick out for me salinity 20 that is too low for a reef tank
 
Yes I’m aware it’s too low, thing is, when I transfer corals from my 300, that Dkh is at 8-8.5 and salinity is 35 ppm. So I’m trying to figure this out, and Mae sure I don’t roast some LPS. Maybe I’ll drain down the new tank some, and transfer some water from the other tank that’s being taken down, see if that will balance it more
 
I got you . If new tank w/o life stock then I would fix with out problems but with life stock do it very slow
 
Are you not willing or able to mix up more water?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 3 4.5%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 26.9%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 28.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 9 13.4%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.0%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 6.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new