LAVA ROCK in reef tank?

Islandvib3s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has anyone used lava rocks/boulders in there reef tanks? live rock is hard to come by without alot of bad hitchhikers and i know lava rock is natural and porous its also really cheap and lighter then most live rocks. thanks in advance

OP
OP
Islandvib3s

Islandvib3s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a high iron content in lava rock. It makes it great for landscaping but not so much for salt water tanks.
did a little research and it says iron helps maintain proper PH levels."Iron is beneficial to all photosynthetic invertebrates and plants, as it improves growth, coloring and expansion" i mean thats what islands are made of... ill do more research lol

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did a little research and it says iron helps maintain proper PH levels."Iron is beneficial to all photosynthetic invertebrates and plants, as it improves growth, coloring and expansion" i mean thats what islands are made of... ill do more research lol

Yes but in small doses, not so good in large quantity. Lava rock is loaded with iron and other metals

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
difference between a tank and the ocean is about 1 BILLION gallons, lol

in a small reef tank, those metals can build up to toxic levels pretty quickly.

Theres tons of dry rock available everywhere thats really cheap and doesnt have the same associated risks.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iron is beneficial as a trace element, not a major element. Trace is the key word there .... itty bitty bits.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol so I ended up buying dry rock,2 clowns,3chromis..2 rose nems tomorrow. Dry rock is in a bucket getting seeded atm lol yay
You can't add all of those at the same time. The dry rock needs to cycle before adding fish. Anemone should be in a tank at least 9 months old.

alpha199

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I'm only going to address the lava rock concern as my cohorts have already addressed the other elephant in the room. I bought a lava rock from my LFS (which is hardly local as Anchorage is an hour way) and it had a bunch of zoas, a mushroom, and a good amount of Mexican Fern Macro on it. So far the rock has been in my tank for close to a month and I have had zero issues and everything in the tank is growing (some are growing too much). So I would say that lava rock is safe depending on where you are getting it and if it is cycled already.

Last edited:

kutcha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as stated above do not just throw dry rock in a tank and think it is cycled you will end up killing those fish and especially that nem

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has anyone used lava rocks/boulders in there reef tanks? live rock is hard to come by without alot of bad hitchhikers and i know lava rock is natural and porous its also really cheap and lighter then most live rocks. thanks in advance
Live rock dosent have bad stuff nowadays because the supply lines are so bad. Also all those Polycheates and other inverts are extremely beneficial and the thing is. There wouldn’t be reefing without stinky purple live rock.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lava rock will leach and effect ur ph and alkalinity over time. Please dont add fish to a saltwater marine aquarium for 2-3weeks please if your new. Your tank will cycle and you will see amnonia spikes and your fish will exp it.
D

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Define bad hitchhikers. I'd argue the old Fiji stuff was better because of porosity but the gulf aquacultured stuff from glr, tblr and the rest is less likely to have serious pests. Gulf mantis are babies, the aiptasia we dread aren't native to the gulf, etc.

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love all the posts saying you can't use lava rock in a reef tank. 100% of my rock is black lava rock, from a landscape supply.

IMG_20180701_223005.jpg

3 years later, and I've been able to keep every fish and coral I've tried.

PXL_20210301_145623577.jpg

PXL_20210301_145725863.jpg

HJ99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running lava rock in a HOB filter for QT tank. Haven't seen any issues . Lot of Youtubes swear by it. But I'm no expert by a long shot.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back