Lawnmower blenny in a 10 gallon

Cheems

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a lawnmower blenny I’ve had my eye on at my lfs. I’ve got like 7 different reef tanks but I decided to put him in an unstocked 10 gallon that’s been cycling for a long time now with lots of algae.

do you think it’s too small of a tank? I have a 75 gallon that would be perfect for him too but I’d prefer him in my room. I also was wanting to use this aquarium to breed clownfish. Do you think the breeding clownfish would harass him? (Btw tank has a small sump)

LeonardTheWrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is definitely too small of a tank. The absolute minimum tank size that's shown on Google is 30 gallons - 55 gallons.
Lawnmower blennies get to a maximum size of 5 inches (12.7cm), and even the size of the fish at the full grown size is enough to decide that.

Breeding clownfish also get quite aggressive, and I doubt any other fish with a breeding clownfish pair in a 10 gallon tank would fair well.

Given you have another tank the blenny could go into, I would recommend the 75 gallon, which would be perfect for it as you said.
If you are dead set on a blenny in the 10 gallon tank, I would think about looking into tailspot, two spot, or barnacle blennies. These all would do better in a 10 gallon.

OP
OP
C

Cheems

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is definitely too small of a tank. The absolute minimum tank size that's shown on Google is 30 gallons - 55 gallons.
Lawnmower blennies get to a maximum size of 5 inches (12.7cm), and even the size of the fish at the full grown size is enough to decide that.

Breeding clownfish also get quite aggressive, and I doubt any other fish with a breeding clownfish pair in a 10 gallon tank would fair well.

Given you have another tank the blenny could go into, I would recommend the 75 gallon, which would be perfect for it as you said.
If you are dead set on a blenny in the 10 gallon tank, I would think about looking into tailspot, two spot, or barnacle blennies. These all would do better in a 10 gallon.
Yeah I wasn’t too sure about the 10 gallon long term. I am going to just use this tank as a quarantine for him then.

And yeah agreed 3 fish in a 10 gallon is a lot but I also have multiple tanks to move fish around to if things were to ever be too cramped so I was wondering if it was worth a try

Anyone know any type of fish that wouldn’t be too heavily harassed by a pair of clownfish for breeding? Perhaps a neon goby is small enough? Or any other type of blenny (I know you recommended some but I don’t know how they would get along with the clownfish)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back