Learn About the Hanna Instruments Seawater Refractometer HI96822

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Hanna Instruments

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The HI96822 is a rugged, portable digital refractometer designed for the measurement of salinity of natural or artificial seawater. The HI96822 displays results in three popular measurement units: Practical Salinity Units (PSU), salinity in parts per thousands (ppt) and specific gravity (S.G. (20/20)). The instrument’s high accuracy and simple operation gives reliable results each and every time. All readings are automatically compensated for temperature variations and displayed within a 1.5 second response time. The sealed flint glass prism and stainless steel well are easy to clean. Just wipe with a soft cloth in preparation for the next sample.

Additional Great Features!
  • Comes with a two year warranty from Hanna Instruments
  • Wide automatic temperature compensation range is perfect for mixing saltwater where temperature can be inconsistent
  • No calibration solution, only RODI water

Staggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the same as the Milwaukee MA887 Refractometer?

Jerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mine for roughly two years and it's quite accurate when calibration is done after each sample, which of course you don't have to worry about sourcing calibration fluid as it only requires RODI water.

FullSizeRender 9.jpg

OP
OP
Hanna Instruments

Hanna Instruments

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the same as the Milwaukee MA887 Refractometer?

The functions are the same and they both are digital seawater refractometers. I can't speak for the quality of the Milwaukee model, but our instruments are manufactured and built by Hanna Instruments in our manufacturing facility in Europe. Our seawater refractometer comes with a two year warranty from us and was specifically developed for use in seawater. We designed and built over 3000 products for a variety of industries, all of which are support by Hanna.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very nice!

Reef-Tank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have bought one of this HI 96822 measure salinity is very very accuracy BUT the temperarue is wayyy off. From (8-10 Fahrenheit) different. Can any one here help please? Thanks alot.

Reef-Tank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have bought one of this HI 96822 measure salinity is very very accuracy BUT the temperarue is wayyy off. From (8-10 Fahrenheit) different. Can any one here help please? Thanks alot.

Reef-Tank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
How long are you letting the water sample sit on the refractometer plate?
I have let sample water sit on about 30 second before i press read button. This happen when first day i have bought it from Marine Depot website. I have this refractometer about 4 weeks ago try to figure out what happen with many way tests for the temperature but seem not working.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Hanna Instruments

Hanna Instruments

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have let sample water sit on about 30 second before i press read button. This happen when first day i have bought it from Marine Depot website. I have this refractometer about 4 weeks ago try to figure out what happen with many way tests for the temperature but seem not working.
Is the temperature higher or lower? How do you verify it's off? What variations are you experiencing?

Reef-Tank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Is the temperature higher or lower? How do you verify it's off? What variations are you experiencing?
The temperature is lower than my tank temp, i have use Apex wifi system and icecap pen salinity check to verify with temp they both in same range except HI 96822 off the range lower 8-10

Reef-Tank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Could you please verify is this refractometer only read room temperature and not tank water temperature? So like you said above use this refractometer great for mixing saltwater how do i know will be close to accuracy for saltwater mix with temperature? I have contacted tech support like you told me here and i got this respond in email from tech support.

Hello,

Because of the small amount of sample being used once you place it on the prism it will assume the temperature of the prism.

For example:

If you tank water is 80°F and the room you are in is 68°F the reading you will see on the refractometer will show around the 68°F.

Best Regards,

Pete Smith

Tech Service Representative

800-426-6287 ext. 134

[email protected]

www.hannainst.com

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back