Least maintenance Auto dosing / auto testing?

Jgoal55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so my main goal, above and beyond anything else I’m doing with my setup is to make it as maintenance free as possible.

I’m no stranger to this and so I know maintenance free doesn’t exist, but we have some cool tech now to make it a whole lot less maintenance than it used to be.

To that end, one of the things I’d like to set up is auto testing and dosing.

It seems the three leading options out there are Focustronic, Apex Trident, and the GHL Directors.

I’ve narrowed my choice down to either the Focustronic or the GHL directors (nothing against Trident, great product, just not what i want now).

What I’m wondering is, between the focustronic and the GHL, does one of these seem to be less maintenance than the other?

I’m planning on using a GHL controller and ecosystem, but if the Focustronic is the better option, I’m not sure the GHL controller is even necessary. I could instead jump into a Hydros or even use an Apex I have from my old tank.

As I understand it, the Focustronic products work independently of any controller.

Anyway, sorry for the long post but appreciate any feedback here. 

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t help with the specific question but I can bump the thread to see if we can get any answers for you

ScoobyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id personally go with the focustronic products. Ive done extensive research on all of them and GHL would be third in my list. I wont go to deep into details but most important lets say with the alkatronic you can make your own cheap regent and thats it. It can work standalone, with Apex or with their other line of products. Here is my list on what ive found to be my option in auto testind and dosing.

1. Focustronic
2. Xepta ( i wish they were in the U.S great product)
3. GHL
4. Neptune

OP
OP
Jgoal55

Jgoal55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id personally go with the focustronic products. Ive done extensive research on all of them and GHL would be third in my list. I wont go to deep into details but most important lets say with the alkatronic you can make your own cheap regent and thats it. It can work standalone, with Apex or with their other line of products. Here is my list on what ive found to be my option in auto testind and dosing.

1. Focustronic
2. Xepta ( i wish they were in the U.S great product)
3. GHL
4. Neptune

OP
OP
Jgoal55

Jgoal55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey so sorry I never replied to your post. I never saw it come through and I guess I didn’t have notifications set.

thanks very much for the feedback. I actually shot on over to reefaPalooza in hopes of seeing the Focustronic in person and, much to my dismay, GHL was the only one there.

that said, it’s pretty impressive what it can do. It has a really cool auto test feature and requires two tests out of range before sending you any notice.

I like the Focustronic too, but seems like the GHL support is better.

I looked at the Xepta too. Looks awesome. Too bad not in US

ScoobyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey so sorry I never replied to your post. I never saw it come through and I guess I didn’t have notifications set.

thanks very much for the feedback. I actually shot on over to reefaPalooza in hopes of seeing the Focustronic in person and, much to my dismay, GHL was the only one there.

that said, it’s pretty impressive what it can do. It has a really cool auto test feature and requires two tests out of range before sending you any notice.

I like the Focustronic too, but seems like the GHL support is better.

I looked at the Xepta too. Looks awesome. Too bad not in US
Cant go wrong with either, from what ive heard GHL is great once its setup properly. I guess since the Alkatronic has been out longer and the Mastertronic being and Alkatronic sold out all over the place speaks volume. GHL ion director fairly new we will see, but GHL like i said has good following too. Take care.

OP
OP
Jgoal55

Jgoal55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant go wrong with either, from what ive heard GHL is great once its setup properly. I guess since the Alkatronic has been out longer and the Mastertronic being and Alkatronic sold out all over the place speaks volume. GHL ion director fairly new we will see, but GHL like i said has good following too. Take care.
Thanks again. I'll be sure to post my feedback once I begin to use it. Though that's going to be a while since I still don't have water in my tank. lol

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 9.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%

Back