Leather coral help

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So it’s been about 5 days and I have lost it at this point! I have done a 15% water change and also a 20% water change today trying to make a difference. My clam is not open the full day and my coral looks horrible. I have no idea what to do! Salinity is 1.027
PH 8.1
Nitrate .15
Temperature

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So it’s been about 5 days and I have lost it at this point! I have done a 15% water change and also a 20% water change today trying to make a difference. My clam is not open the full day and my coral looks horrible. I have no idea what to do! Salinity is 1.027
PH 8.1
Nitrate .15
Temperature
8.2 PH

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
PH 8.1
Nitrate .15
Temperature
Please post a pic of the coral but in many cases, its inadequate water flow, too much bright white intensity and low salt level.
Giving it a few bursts with a turkey baster will perk it up and then direct water flow Towards the leather, Not at it

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pic of your tank will help...... a clam and a leather coral have very different tank requirements. What is the alk and phosphate levels?

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Please post a pic of the coral but in many cases, its inadequate water flow, too much bright white intensity and low salt level.
Giving it a few bursts with a turkey baster will perk it up and then direct water flow Towards the leather, Not at it
So I tried using a Turkey blaster and I got no response looks like over the past 2 days alage is taking over :(

Attachments

• C7777AEC-EFFD-44A1-850F-E7AB787DDE24.jpeg
    C7777AEC-EFFD-44A1-850F-E7AB787DDE24.jpeg
    167.1 KB · Views: 29
  • E0918411-A048-46EA-BE4F-F01FD701D3F3.jpeg
    E0918411-A048-46EA-BE4F-F01FD701D3F3.jpeg
    133.1 KB · Views: 29

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So I tried using a Turkey blaster and I got no response looks like over the past 2 days alage is taking over :(
Ok, this is sinularia which is very moody. Best at mid-tank with medium flow and a little iron and aminos in the water

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok, this is sinularia which is very moody. Best at mid-tank with medium flow and a little iron and aminos in the water
It is directly in middle tank with decent flow not to much but enough to be solid. I will need to bring the water to test at LFS guess there is something off

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PH 8.1
Nitrate .15
Temperature
How old is your system?
I see bubble algae which is a pest and should be removed.
May indicate high phosphate or imbalance, or zero in nutrients.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is directly in middle tank with decent flow not to much but enough to be solid. I will need to bring the water to test at LFS guess there is something off
Great place to start to unravel what, if anything, may contribute to the unhappiness. Always rule out water chemistry first, it, many times, is either the source, or contributor.

A .15ppm nitrate level is way low especially for softies who like to mop up those nutrients. So if true, bump that to say 5-10ppm.

In addition, the unknown phosphate level is problematic, too much and we see a unwanted algaes or bacterium, too little and corals starve, zero possible trigger of Dino’s.

Measure and bring that to say 0.05-.1ppm.

Leathers are notorious for sulking for weeks, hate to be moved, hate to be touched, either of those can cause days of unhappiness.

These two essential water characteristics must remain available, stable and in the correct levels. All 8 parameters must have little to no change in 24 hours.

With rock solid chemistry, everything you place in will acclimate quickly, you should see happiness in the first 24 hours, although leathers again, I find are slower.

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great place to start to unravel what, if anything, may contribute to the unhappiness. Always rule out water chemistry first, it, many times, is either the source, or contributor.

A .15ppm nitrate level is way low especially for softies who like to mop up those nutrients. So if true, bump that to say 5-10ppm.

In addition, the unknown phosphate level is problematic, too much and we see a unwanted algaes or bacterium, too little and corals starve, zero possible trigger of Dino’s.

Measure and bring that to say 0.05-.1ppm.

Leathers are notorious for sulking for weeks, hate to be moved, hate to be touched, either of those can cause days of unhappiness.

These two essential water characteristics must remain available, stable and in the correct levels. All 8 parameters must have little to no change in 24 hours.

With rock solid chemistry, everything you place in will acclimate quickly, you should see happiness in the first 24 hours, although leathers again, I find are slower.
Wow I appreciate the lengthy and detailed response fortunately he is up and looks happy again!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 48 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 9.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back