Clownfish Problem

Aveadonat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did a 25% water change in my 20G, went to LFS to get water, came back and zoas are open and GSP is still opening, one clownfish appears fine, cleaner shrimp fine, one clownfish has a bloated stomach and is floating to surface (see videos)
Temperature did drop during water change, I’m not sure if salinity changed, pH shouldn’t have changed, i did stir up the sand bed quite a bit so there could’ve been something that upset the fish
These symptoms all happened in about 20-30 minutes i don’t have any sort of quarantine tank but I have an old 10 gallon I could maybe use
Any help is appreciated thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4236.MOV
    3.8 MB
  • IMG_4235.MOV
    1.3 MB
  • IMG_4234.MOV
    14.6 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did a 25% water change in my 20G, went to LFS to get water, came back and zoas are open and GSP is still opening, one clownfish appears fine, cleaner shrimp fine, one clownfish has a bloated stomach and is floating to surface (see videos)
Temperature did drop during water change, I’m not sure if salinity changed, pH shouldn’t have changed, i did stir up the sand bed quite a bit so there could’ve been something that upset the fish
These symptoms all happened in about 20-30 minutes i don’t have any sort of quarantine tank but I have an old 10 gallon I could maybe use
Any help is appreciated thanks

Looks like gas in the stomach or maybe the swim bladder. Not sure how that could have happened. The fish had no symptoms prior to the water change? If the water change had caused this, I would expect the GSP to react to anything amiss long before a clownfish would.

OP
OP
Aveadonat

Aveadonat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More videos/MP4 format in case the .MOV's aren't loading

Attachments

• Video.mp4
    715 KB
  • Video_1 (1).mp4
    302.5 KB
  • Video_2.mp4
    88.4 KB
  • Video_3.mp4
    954.5 KB
OP
OP
Aveadonat

Aveadonat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like gas in the stomach or maybe the swim bladder. Not sure how that could have happened. The fish had no symptoms prior to the water change? If the water change had caused this, I would expect the GSP to react to anything amiss long before a clownfish would.
Zoa has been fine, neither fish had symptoms however GSP started closing up on thursdayish, by friday all the polyps were closed but zoa/shrimp and fish were fine, I did the water change around an hour ago
Neither fish showed any symptoms of anything today, when I came back from LFS ~20-30 mins after water change smaller clown was sick but the larger one is still fine

OP
OP
Aveadonat

Aveadonat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's an LFS somewhat close, I could try running over there and cleaning up my 10 gallon to try and set up a QT for the larger one, not sure if I would put the smaller one in the QT if he's still fine by that time

OP
OP
Aveadonat

Aveadonat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish still has the gas buildup, can’t tell if it’s gotten any better or worse it honestly looks the same, been observing for ~50 minutes atp and spas are fine, GSP still closed, larger clown appears to be okay and shrimp appears to be okay too.
One thing I thought off was I used a brand new tooth brush to scrape the rocks, not sure if there could have been chemicals that got in the water column but I feel like if there were everything in the tank would be demonstrating symptoms not just this one fish.

OP
OP
Aveadonat

Aveadonat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish still in the same condition, I’ve been tapping it when it goes upside down with a net to try and keep it moving but I can’t do it all night
Not sure if leaving it upside down for a prolonged period of time will kill the fish or not, nor am I really sure what course of action to take
Again any help would be really appreciated thanks

OP
OP
Aveadonat

Aveadonat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Larger clownfish keeps aggressively attacking the sick smaller fish everytime it moves, only letting up when he gets stuck on the intake or the wire to my power head
Now I’m wondering if this fish is floating because of an injury sustained from the larger clownfish and if this larger clownfish is trying to kill the small one
I’m leaving the fish alone even though it’s getting stuck because like I said i’m not sure if it’s going to be able to stay alive without moving/upside down, and I can’t sit here all night prodding the sick fish with a net to get it to move

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you.
Maybe the result of an attack.
Clownfish can be absolutely brutal with their mouths.
I think he’s toast.
Stop that attack if possible.
Sorry

OP
OP
Aveadonat

Aveadonat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you.
Maybe the result of an attack.
Clownfish can be absolutely brutal with their mouths.
I think he’s toast.
Stop that attack if possible.
Sorry
Thanks. You think I should leave it overnight and see what happens or stop the potential tank crash by just removing the sick one from the tank now?

OP
OP
Aveadonat

Aveadonat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figure if I leave him in the tank there’s a chance he gets better but at the same time if he dies overnight it might spike the ammonia and crash the whole tank

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figure if I leave him in the tank there’s a chance he gets better but at the same time if he dies overnight it might spike the ammonia and crash the whole tank
One dead fish, Not going to crash anything.
Whatever you feel best, but that’s viscous behavior.
Doubt that’s going to end well.

I’d stop that for any hope of recovery, but looking at the fish, he’s got hours maybe.
Sorry

CO2TLEY

Saltaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acclimation box for the night if you have one to keep the larger clown off

OP
OP
Aveadonat

Aveadonat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acclimation box for the night if you have one to keep the larger clown off
I would if I had one, I have an old like 1 gallon fresh water tank with a bubbler I could clean out and throw the larger one in, should I try that?

CO2TLEY

Saltaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe splitting the tank with something would be easier to keep them separate?

OP
OP
Aveadonat

Aveadonat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: I decided to just leave both fish overnight and see how they were in the morning and both fish appear to be fine and the larger female clownfish isn’t showing the signs of aggression. Still waiting for the GSP to open but I think that was a separate issue from the fish. Thanks to everyone that gave advice, I’m really glad my fish made it!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back