Spots on clownfish’s head?? What do I do?

Michigan Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nearly a week in the tank now and have noticed white/reddish spots on the forehead and body on each clownfish in the last 3 days. This tank is cycled with dr tims kit and has been running for 4 weeks now. Ammonia is zero and nitrates 65-75ppm. I’ve added more first defense, the stress relief product for dr tims.

Any advice? I did a 10% water change today. Nothing else in the tank.

Salinity 35ppt
Temp 77.8F

IMG_0925.png IMG_0924.png

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s tough to ID issues on white clowns. Have you seen any fighting or posturing between them? Any flashing or scratching seen?

Your nitrates are oddly high for a one month old tank, but that isn’t the cause of this.

Jay

OP
OP
Michigan Reefer

Michigan Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree the nitrates are very high, and I haven't had any algae growth on the rocks with the lights on for the week.

Fish are acting fine with each other and swim around for food then back to there spots. They only eat a pellet or two each day. It's getting worse each day 1 with the female, and now the male has it on his body. I'm considering a large water change. It's only a 14 gallon nano. I don't want to disrupt this early cycling process however.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree the nitrates are very high, and I haven't had any algae growth on the rocks with the lights on for the week.

Fish are acting fine with each other and swim around for food then back to there spots. They only eat a pellet or two each day. It's getting worse each day 1 with the female, and now the male has it on his body. I'm considering a large water change. It's only a 14 gallon nano. I don't want to disrupt this early cycling process however.
You're not going to hurt anything from a water change. Can you please try a few more white light photos and a 20 second video?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s tough to ID issues on white clowns. Have you seen any fighting or posturing between them? Any flashing or scratching seen?

Your nitrates are oddly high for a one month old tank, but that isn’t the cause of this.

Jay
Does this look like the clown bruising issue to you?

OP
OP
Michigan Reefer

Michigan Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a the video. Hope it works.

OP
OP
Michigan Reefer

Michigan Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this look like the clown bruising issue to you?
It does look like some of the photos from the bruising pictures I saw on Jays thread. What’s the solution?

Attachments

• IMG_0935.jpeg
    IMG_0935.jpeg
    90.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0934.jpeg
    IMG_0934.jpeg
    91 KB · Views: 9

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look like some of the photos from the bruising pictures I saw on Jays thread. What’s the solution?
To my knowledge, no solution has been identified to that problem. It can show up as a sign of other issues, but not much is known about the bruising itself.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh, those pictures do look like the clownfish bruising issue. I don’t know of anyone who has identified a treatment for this.

OP
OP
Michigan Reefer

Michigan Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everybody. Maybe i'll contact saltwateraquarium.com or ORA. That is where I purchased these premium snowflake clowns.

OP
OP
Michigan Reefer

Michigan Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look like bruising after seeing more pictures on threads. Someone mentioned a fresh water dip which helped some.

What exactly is this process? Just literally dip them in fresh RO water and for how long? I guess the idea is kill off bacteria on the body?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This seems to be more of an internal issue, so I’m not sure how much a fw dip would do.
Basically you just put them into temperature matched fw for 5 minutes. You can use tap water for it, as it is is typically better matched to seawater than RO.

OP
OP
Michigan Reefer

Michigan Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This seems to be more of an internal issue, so I’m not sure how much a fw dip would do.
Basically you just put them into temperature matched fw for 5 minutes. You can use tap water for it, as it is is typically better matched to seawater than RO.
Whoa 5 minutes in tap water? ok I'll see how the next couple days go and will try it if the spots continue to get worse. Would adding a UV-sterilizer help?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoa 5 minutes in tap water? ok I'll see how the next couple days go and will try it if the spots continue to get worse. Would adding a UV-sterilizer help?

I found the original thread for this "syndrome".

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back