What type of cycling product should i get?

vcnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tanks 110 gallons, should i get brightwell, fritz or dr tims. if dr tims should i get the bundle for +20? it comes with ammonia chloride , one and only , first defense for $73.99 (120 gallon size)

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
used a shrimp to seed my 100g, along with ghost feeding. But all of the products above work fine. I tested ammonia and nitrite a total of 0 times (this is my second tank. My first one, I did dr Tims and tested every day :) )

Transferred 4 fish after cycling no issue. Then added another 3 (2 tangs and wrasse), a few days later. I did put in a bottle of bio-spora I had laying around about 48 hours before I put the tangs in to be overall my cautious, but I am pretty sure it was overkill at that point. I also had a little bit of live rock which could have helped

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s up to you. Your plan will work, although it seems rather expensive.

Or you can throw a shrimp in and wait (free). You can buy a bottle of ammonia and a bottle of bacteria ($15) , that will work. You can add a pinch of flake food and bacteria($10)

It’s completely up to you there is no right or wrong way. Well, the wrong way is to use fish-in Cycle, please dont do that.

OP
OP
vcnt

vcnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
used a shrimp to seed my 100g, along with ghost feeding. But all of the products above work fine. I tested ammonia and nitrite a total of 0 times (this is my second tank. My first one, I did dr Tims and tested every day :) )

Transferred 4 fish after cycling no issue. Then added another 3 (2 tangs and wrasse), a few days later. I did put in a bottle of bio-spora I had laying around about 48 hours before I put the tangs in to be overall my cautious, but I am pretty sure it was overkill at that point. I also had a little bit of live rock which could have helped
But do you know why dr Tims vs MicroBacter is such a big price difference?

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But do you know why dr Tims vs MicroBacter is such a big price difference?
I don’t know. If we’re talking about microbac7, it’s not really a starter bacteria vs dr Tims. There is a lot of research done on the forum about starter bacteria. I think Fritz and Bio-Sporia are ranked at the top — however there are two issues:
1) supply/demand can make it hard to actually get your hands on it

2) it is live bacteria and you have no idea how it was stored. If it was exposed to extreme temperatures it might be all dead before you add it

If you’re a little patient, the old shrimps method will 100% work. I had no issue with Dr Tim’s either

Attachments

• IMG_3242.jpeg
    IMG_3242.jpeg
    173 KB · Views: 33

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
I always use brightwell start xlm. Also to clarify people putting in shrimp….yoy have to have bacteria from a bottle or live rock for that to work. You can’t just put dead seafood in it and expect to have nitrifying bacteria magically appear in the tank

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always use brightwell start xlm. Also to clarify people putting in shrimp….yoy have to have bacteria from a bottle or live rock for that to work. You can’t just put dead seafood in it and expect to have nitrifying bacteria magically appear in the tank
There are mega threads on this site for this. If you put dead rock on saltwater with it will appear over time. Same with ghost feeding, shrimp, and anything else. Bacteria is everywhere. These bacteria in a bottle just accelerate the process (by orders of magnitude).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back