Leather on its way out? Options? Pic attached

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This leather is on my 150 mixed reef. Doing well until it touched another leather, who I think nuked it. Moved the other leather about a week ago, but this one has not looked well since. It tries to perk up, but this is as bad as it’s looked. The mucus coming off it is particularly disturbing. Though about dipping it in revive. Thoughts?

mother photo is pre warfare.

495F0E2F-9204-414B-AA90-37B762892702.jpeg F92E9596-1830-43D9-8D69-EE55E2FDC3D5.jpeg

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It still appears to have at least some polyp extension so i wouldn't rule it out yet. Leathers can take upwards of a week to shed though, and if there was some warfare then it could be recovering.

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running carbon? If not I would run some to minimize the toxins that may still be in the water. Also was it the toadstool leather in the pic that touched it? I find that neon green cabbage leathers are the worst in releasing toxins during tank warfare...

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, run carbon. It's not falling apart, it's not blotchy, it's got polyp extension. Maybe it touched the other leather and got it's ego bruised. :). It should be fine. Honestly it looks more extended in the droopy pict (the branches) which would make sense as to why they are drooping. They get more flexible the more they extend.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most (all?) leathers can touch other leathers. They may not like it and will result in decreased polyp extension and general unhappiness they aren't going to just melt away from touching another similar coral, at least not in the short term.

OP
OP
Bpfor3

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running carbon? If not I would run some to minimize the toxins that may still be in the water. Also was it the toadstool leather in the pic that touched it? I find that neon green cabbage leathers are the worst in releasing toxins during tank warfare...
I have been running carbon about a week. Wasn’t the toadstool. It was a smaller white and brown finger to its left. I think that may be the culprit, becausafter I moved it a small sinularia 3in a way has closed up.

OP
OP
Bpfor3

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking better this evening. Shedding like crazy, but it looks solid. I was worried as parts looked almost black this morning.

71CD79A5-3EDC-409F-9C2B-B4DAD0FD0FE3.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back