Leather toadstool can’t support itself

Sobiech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a toadstool coral about 6 months ago and up until recently it has been doing great. When I bought the toadstool, I noticed it’s base had attached to the interior of a snail shell. This didn’t initially appear to be an issue, but as the leather has grown, the actual base itself hasn’t grown, but the trunk of the coral has. I feel that it can no longer support the weight and it just falls over. I haven’t seen it upright in over a month. Is there anything I can do to help it’s base grow or is there anything I can do to provide it some support?

My parameters are
ALK - 8.1
Calc - 445
Nitrates - 6
PH - 8.3
Phosphates - .25
Magnesium - 1400
Nitrites - 0
Ammonia - 0

My tank is a Red Sea Reefer 250 under 2 AI Hydra 26 lights. The leather sits in the top third of my tank.

I have attached pictures to show the growth and the fact that at one point it could support itself, as well as pictures of it currently in my tank.

Thank you everyone in advance for your help it is greatly appreciated

Additionally, if I posted this in the wrong forum can someone help me move it.
IMG_0398.JPG
IMG_0630.JPG
IMG_0629.JPG
IMG_0628.JPG

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd just pull it off the shell and reglue/epoxy it where you want it.

OP
OP
Sobiech

Sobiech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd just pull it off the shell and reglue/epoxy it where you want it.

I like it where it’s at I just wish it would stand upright like it used to. The base is really narrow and I though flow was an issue, maybe knocking it over, but after changing that I realized it just doesn’t stand up anymore. I want to get it’s base to expand. The trunk is solid and it just flops over. It’s like it can’t grow out of the opening of the shell.

I don’t really know if or how I could remove the base from the inside of the snail shell and maybe attach it to something else.

TonyNguyen

Unkown
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don't you glue the shell using Gel glue? Also glue a crumble rock behind the base so the Toad can attach to it and get more stable. On top of the shell so that it can balance If you really like that shell. =)

OP
OP
Sobiech

Sobiech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don't you glue the shell using Gel glue? Also glue a crumble rock behind the base so the Toad can attach to it and get more stable. On top of the shell so that it can balance If you really like that shell. =)

I’m impartial to the shell... the base is just way up in the shell itself since it’s like a snail shell. It’s like when they dragged it they shoved it in the shell. I’m not even sure how far I to the shell it goes.... you think if I put some rubble around the shell it will grow on to it? I just can seem to get any growth out of the tiny hole of the shell

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you cut it right here:
IMG_0888.JPG

And get rid of the shell, you can epoxy it in the same spot it is now. Just to a rock instead of the shell.

-Zack

OP
OP
Sobiech

Sobiech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you cut it right here:
IMG_0888.JPG

And get rid of the shell, you can epoxy it in the same spot it is now. Just to a rock instead of the shell.

-Zack

Sweet! Thanks for the line to show me because I’m too big of a wimp to cut things without knowing. I care too much about my coral and fish. I would never want to hurt them. Can I use regular gel glue or is there another method that is more effective?

TonyNguyen

Unkown
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is why you put crumble rocks around it and the leather will start to attach on its own. =)

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I jammed mine into a crevice and it stuck itself their. Otherwise gel glue will work

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back