Leaving for vacation in the morning. Is this ick? Or something else?

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon, hoping for some help diagnosing white spots in my powder brown tang. Noticed the spots last night. They do not appear to have gotten any worse since first noticing them.
1000003996.jpg

Fish is eating and acting normal, no other fish in the tank showing signs of spots including my 2 YTs. I have not added a thing to the tank other than food in over 6 months and this fish is 10+ years old. All my fish go through QT for minimum of 2 months.

Running UV currently and always feed good foods. I am leaving in the morning until early next week so hoping to do anything I can to prevent this from getting worse while I'm gone. Can I soak frozen food in Metro or prazi before feeding the display?

Any help is much appreciated.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Good afternoon, hoping for some help diagnosing white spots in my powder brown tang. Noticed the spots last night. They do not appear to have gotten any worse since first noticing them.
1000003996.jpg

Fish is eating and acting normal, no other fish in the tank showing signs of spots including my 2 YTs. I have not added a thing to the tank other than food in over 6 months and this fish is 10+ years old. All my fish go through QT for minimum of 2 months.

Running UV currently and always feed good foods. I am leaving in the morning until early next week so hoping to do anything I can to prevent this from getting worse while I'm gone. Can I soak frozen food in Metro or prazi before feeding the display?

based on size and location, may even be velvet which they are susceptible to. Whether ich or velvet, the treatment is the same using rither coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1000003996.jpg

I think it's been pretty well proven that 'feeding well' makes no difference. and UV is +/- based on the age of the bulb, etc. Soaking food in metro (assuming you mean metronidazole) - or praziquantel is probably not going to do anything. It's funny - all of these issues always start right before vacation.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
based on size and location, may even be velvet which they are susceptible to. Whether ich or velvet, the treatment is the same using rither coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
I think he is going on vacation?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s ick the tank may or may not be okay until he gets back and possibly indefinitely. That said PB’s tend to always get it and to get it bad, so maybe not.

If it’s velvet kiss it all goodbye by return time if nothings done.

OP
OP
TheDuude

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'm back and all fish are doing fine. My PB now only has a few white spots with the majority of those being on his fins. No spots on any other fish in the tank.

So thoughts on my course of action moving forward? Is it best to get the PB into quarantine and treat? Is it unfair to leave him as is and try to manage the ick?

If I do need to QT it will take some time to get a larger QT setup and cycled, my intake setup is only 10 gallons.
Thanks for the feedback all

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'm back and all fish are doing fine. My PB now only has a few white spots with the majority of those being on his fins. No spots on any other fish in the tank.

So thoughts on my course of action moving forward? Is it best to get the PB into quarantine and treat? Is it unfair to leave him as is and try to manage the ick?

If I do need to QT it will take some time to get a larger QT setup and cycled, my intake setup is only 10 gallons.
Thanks for the feedback all
I'm glad all fish survived mate . I really can't comment on what to do now tbh . If it was me tho I'd just keep a close eye on them and leave it as it is . Maybe post some pictures and videos so the experts can take a look and advise you . Good luck either way .

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If it were me - I would treat ALL of the fish in QT - with copper (and you might as well do praziquantel as well) - per protocol. Your display tank would need to be left alone (fallow) for up to 76 days

OP
OP
TheDuude

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me - I would treat ALL of the fish in QT - with copper (and you might as well do praziquantel as well) - per protocol. Your display tank would need to be left alone (fallow) for up to 76 days
I don't think I will be going to QT, I fear the added stress will do more harm in my other fish that have apparently been living with ich in the tank for a long time.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't think I will be going to QT, I fear the added stress will do more harm in my other fish that have apparently been living with ich in the tank for a long time.
The reason I suggested that you go through the process is that every new fish you add has a much higher likelihood of having a disease problem - especially if you buy fish that are tank raised - since they have not been exposed. But I understand your rationale!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 63 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 11.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%

Back