LED and T5 combo

wake122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I need some recommendations. Here is my tank dims 30Lx30Wx25H. I have 1 Radion XR30W G4 Pro. I plan to keep mostly LPS coral with a few SPS at the very top. Probably some acros or something. I was reading around and it seems like it might be a good idea to have some T5's added in for a better balance and improved coral growth. My question is am I thinking correctly on this, how many T5's would I need and what color bulbs would be recommended. I was thinking of using these below. I would change out the bulbs but I am not sure what colors I would need. Everything would be mounted in a canpopy. The Radion is current mounted in the middle of the canopy and I was thinking about adding the bulbs to each side of it.

2x DuroLux DL822N T5 HO 2Ft 2 Fluorescent Lamps Grow Lighting System.
https://www.amazon.com/DuroLux-DL82...1&refRID=TQBRHR5C68WZQQEKPPS8#customerReviews

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I need some recommendations. Here is my tank dims 30Lx30Wx25H. I have 1 Radion XR30W G4 Pro. I plan to keep mostly LPS coral with a few SPS at the very top. Probably some acros or something. I was reading around and it seems like it might be a good idea to have some T5's added in for a better balance and improved coral growth. My question is am I thinking correctly on this, how many T5's would I need and what color bulbs would be recommended. I was thinking of using these below. I would change out the bulbs but I am not sure what colors I would need. Everything would be mounted in a canpopy. The Radion is current mounted in the middle of the canopy and I was thinking about adding the bulbs to each side of it.

https://www.amazon.com/DuroLux-DL82...1&refRID=TQBRHR5C68WZQQEKPPS8#customerReviews
It seems to have good reviews. You’d have to change out the lights for a tank. The fixture looks pretty tall. How would you combine it with your LED’s?

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I personally would use all t5s with a nice and simple ATI Sunpower and have the best light you can offer to your system, but if you really want to get a supplementation for your Radion I would place as many T5s you can over that tank on both sides. I would get retros instead that fixture. Retros will allow you to place the hot ballasts out of the canopy and still give you much more with better reflectors. The bulbs' choice will depend on your taste. Most bulbs will give you what you need. t5s are just the best light for shallow tanks!! The spectrum of the T5s will also depend on what setting you have your Radion now.
Here:
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/aquarium-lighting/t5-fluorescent-aquarium-lighting/retrofit.html
Good luck!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s only a 30x30. Those leds a proven to grow corals all by themselves.
A second led would actually be a good call to fix the shadows on a tank that small. I’m in a 20x20 with a 16x8 B.B. and I’d actually like to add another for more even coverage.

Depending on the intensity of the led you may need two to four 24in t5. If they don’t fit you may need 18in. And those are a tick to find. You’ll need a par or lux meter to know for sure on your intensity.

Depending on the mounting Heith and your % on the lights and your aqua scape , one of the Radion diffusers might be the cheaper call.

I’d stick with ati and geissman.

OP
OP
wake122

wake122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair enough. I think I will actually going the retro fit route to cut down on the heat. I think I'll add 2 just to start and see how that is. I have a LFS that rents par meters thankfully.

Michael Llabona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added the T5 retrofit to my reefbreeder photon and love it. I had some shadowing and my acros were not growing as fast as I thought they would. I cut my reefbreeder intensity by 25% and added 2 blue plus bulbs. The temp maxes out at 79.5. No fans are being used. My house temp is 73-74. Then second I added, the colors of my acros improved and started sprouting new growth in just under a week.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back