Led bulb help

icemountain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just had a question regarding the led colors. do the Violet 420nm leds look the same as the blues to our eyes or is there a noticeable difference?

Mr. D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
420 nm is going to give you the violet color to your eyes. 460 nm is going to noticeably more blue to you, or at least it should be if everything is described right where you're looking.

A good reference would be t5 bulbs. There's a noticeable difference in color between the two bulbs of 420 and 460 nm.

OP
OP
icemountain

icemountain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my LED fixtures made and the Violets are on the same row as the blues. When I turned them on, they all seemed blue to me with no hint of violet like the T5s and i asked them about and the said the violets have almost the same color as blues and our eyes can't see the spectrum it gives off. I still think its blue and not violet on the fixture I got from them.

Mr. D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That really shouldn't be the case. 420 nm is within a humans range of sight. And if we can notice the difference between t5 bulbs then we should be able to notice the difference in LEDs.

However, I could be wrong. Perhaps there is a way they're made that I'm not familiar with. But light I light. You can really change its properties between an led and a t5.

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Violet should have a slight Purple Tint and will be a tad dimmer when viewing the LED. They will be more noticeable than the difference between Blue and Royal Blue.

Bill

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back