LED Lighting Recommendations for Red Sea Max 250

FriendoFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I just got an amazing deal on a Red Sea Max 250, the only catch is that it doesn’t come with lights. My mom is going to look after it for me while I’m in my last 2 years of college and the one thing she requested is that it have LEDs with a sunrise/sunset feature. Lighting confuses me so much, so I was wondering what recommendations y’all have for this tank? It’s 36”x21” and I’m planning to keep only LPS and softies (and maybe my one psammacora), so I don’t want something super intense. Thanks in advance!

MoH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AI makes good lights that would work well for this tank. But when it comes to lighting budget is a big factor. If you tell us your budget might be easier to make a recommendation.

OP
OP
FriendoFish

FriendoFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AI makes good lights that would work well for this tank. But when it comes to lighting budget is a big factor. If you tell us your budget might be easier to make a recommendation.
I mean, ideally I’d like to keep it under $200. But I’m not sure how feasible that is. Buying used is fine with me. Black boxes are okay too...I’ve just heard some horror stories about them catching on fire which kinda freaks me out lol.

MoH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait your red sea max 250 didn't come with t5 lighting already and a hood? Im thinking the max series has lights built in

OP
OP
FriendoFish

FriendoFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait your red sea max 250 didn't come with t5 lighting already and a hood? Im thinking the max series has lights built in
Yah that’s what I mean... I got the Max used for like $200 But the reason it was so cheap is bc it doesn’t have the hood or lights :)

MoH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yah that’s what I mean... I got the Max used for like $200 But the reason it was so cheap is bc it doesn’t have the hood or lights :)

oops! totally missed that! My Bad. Yeah I would say in the range of 200 black box would work but can be sketchy like you said. If you are able to find some AI primes used might be a good way to go I think new they run about 200 for the prime hd and you would need 2 for a tank this size

Also 200 bucks for a red sea max 250 what a great deal!

OP
OP
FriendoFish

FriendoFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know right! I was planning on upgrading from my tiny Fluval Evo once I graduated, but when I saw that I couldn’t pass it up!

And I was considering the Prime HD because everyone seems to love them! I just thought it wouldn’t be strong enough bc I’ve only ever seen it used on nano tanks. But like I said, lighting confuses me and I’ve never had a tank this large before.

OP
OP
FriendoFish

FriendoFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I’ve decided that I actually do want some nicer lights in case I want to grow SPS in the future and I can expand my budget to like $400 or $500 total. I do like the way the AI primes look though, so would they be able to grow SPS? Also, what’s the difference between the Primes and the Hydras? Thanks!

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I’ve decided that I actually do want some nicer lights in case I want to grow SPS in the future and I can expand my budget to like $400 or $500 total. I do like the way the AI primes look though, so would they be able to grow SPS? Also, what’s the difference between the Primes and the Hydras? Thanks!
I have a 65 gallon that is roughly the same dimensions. I went with the 36 in version of the aquatic life t5 hybrid with a used kessil a360we total cost minus t5 bulbs $475. I haven't gotten it set up yet but I think it will do the trick.

Alenya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Reefer 250 with two AI Prime 16 HDs for softies and LPS (caveat: still need to stock it!) - I'm happy with how solid the light looks and I know if I want to I can add a third light.

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Red Sea Reefled 90s will work well too, I like the mounting arms as they can flip up and get out of the way when your working on the tank.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back