Distorted/mutant morphology in Acroporas radial and axial corallite structure.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to perform a little experiment in light of our, um, (throat clear) discussion last week. I relocated one of my vortechs last Thursday night and have already noticed a difference in the wwc pink panther Tenuis I shared with everyone last week.

I just now decided to build a protective wall in front of the rrc op, the other Tenuis I shared, to see if the reduced linear pulsing flow will affect the growth of the axial corallites.

Stay tuned

OP
OP
C. Eymann

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this subject/thread needs a bump,

I think flow is not a factor in this whatsoever, however, contrary to my previous "statement/hypothesis" I also dont believe LEDs are the cause anymore either.

Been reading more into this subject more and the same GAs (growth anomalies) are being observed on corals in the wild,

20200503_151051.jpg

This study I found particularly interesting, seems that some species of acropora, linear growth is not affected where as other species are stunted. However did mention these growth anomalies possibly affecting nutritional, reproductive and immunological health of the colonies

Unfortunately from my reading of this and other studies, the cause is still relatively unknown, but because of a observed increased upregulation of prophenoloxidase of affected colonies it is suspected to be an immunological response to an unknown environmental irritant.
Other possible theories I have read into is the possibility of being caused by a pathogen or even a parasite thats lifecycle includes hosting in corallivorous fishes!

Question is ? would they be able to observe these GA in coral fossils? how long has this been going on with corals on wild reefs around the world ?

I recommend reading the study I linked, incredibly interesting stuff!

Anyone have any thoughts ? theories? crackpot ideas?

Back