LED T5 Hybrid light fixture mounting and recommendations

Macey’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I posted this in the wrong forum so posting agin here: I have a 4x2” 80/20 arm mounted on the side of my tank to hold 4 AI Hydra 26 lights. I want to add a hybrid fixture to add T5s to the LEDs. I have 14’ ceilings and don’t want to hang the lights from the ceiling. Has anyone done anything or seen anything similar? Will the 80/20 hold the fixture? Please suggest a hybrid fixture.

1576262747337.jpeg 1576262807431.jpeg

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the fixture you have can hold me...lol

You should be more than fine with that fixture you have to hang the hybrid and hydras on it. The fixture with lights I think is less that 8-10 lbs, and by the looks of your 80/20 you have going on, a stripper can work that pole.

Edited: I by the way, am no stripper!

OP
OP
Macey’s Reef

Macey’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the fixture you have can hold me...lol

You should be more than fine with that fixture you have to hang the hybrid and hydras on it. The fixture with lights I think is less that 8-10 lbs, and by the looks of your 80/20 you have going on, a stripper can work that pole.

Edited: I by the way, am no stripper!
Thanks! I'll have a stripper try it first and if it holds then hang the light fixture ;)

artieg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue with my peninsula tank (6 feet long, currently using AI Hydras with a mounting rail that goes the full six feet on both sides). My concern is that upgrading to a hybrid fixture will be very much a DIY project, because there is currently no mounting option for any of the t5 hybrid fixtures out there. So you are talking about "hanging" the fixture from your mount. I'm no engineer, but I see all kinds of problems with something hanging and potentially swaying like that, as opposed to fixed LED fixtures that cannot move.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got the aquatic hybrid hanging from two 8020 rails. I just drilled a tiny hole in through each and ran the hanging cable through. Don't see why that wouldn't work with your set up.
Tank cable mgmt.jpg

OP
OP
Macey’s Reef

Macey’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for your response. Do you think it would work to do a little DIY and drill through the fixture and secure it to the bottom of the 80/20?

OP
OP
Macey’s Reef

Macey’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue with my peninsula tank (6 feet long, currently using AI Hydras with a mounting rail that goes the full six feet on both sides). My concern is that upgrading to a hybrid fixture will be very much a DIY project, because there is currently no mounting option for any of the t5 hybrid fixtures out there. So you are talking about "hanging" the fixture from your mount. I'm no engineer, but I see all kinds of problems with something hanging and potentially swaying like that, as opposed to fixed LED fixtures that cannot move.
I think there will be some DIY adjustments also. Thanks for your thoughts.

OP
OP
Macey’s Reef

Macey’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there will be some DIY adjustments also. Thanks for your thoughts.
Thanks so much for your response. Do you think it would work to do a little DIY and drill through the fixture and secure it to the bottom of the 80/20?
Or since my bar is parallel to the fixture would the cable hangers fit over the bar so the distance it hangs down would be minimal. Also how “attractive” is the fixture? Does it need a short canopy frame to dress it up? Thanks again!

X.x

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got the aquatic hybrid hanging from two 8020 rails. I just drilled a tiny hole in through each and ran the hanging cable through. Don't see why that wouldn't work with your set up.
Tank cable mgmt.jpg
what kind of mount is it? The aqua Illumination ?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 153 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.3%
Back