LED t5 hybrid: lumia or kessil?

TheChef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im looking to put a t5/LED hybrid over a rimless 24x24 cube, 18" deep, that would house a large nem and potentially some SPS in the top 25% of the tank. The two options I've settled on but cant decide between are a Kessil a350W or a CREE Lumia 5.2 w/ storm controller. My general understanding is the Lumia has a better spectrum and controllability but isnt as powerful as a Kessil. Im leaning towards the lumia, if only for the sunrise/sunset function, but all the video's Ive seen of the a350W are amazing

so considering that either option would be backed up w/ a dual bulb t5 fixture, which would you choose? Is the Lumia's advantage in spectrum and controllability negated by Kessil's extra power, or would the Lumia/t5 combo be enough for SPS?

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got the 360WE and my bta loves it. It crawled right up directly below the light. It's growing sps / lps also. do you have a controller? I've got mine hooked to the apex to ramp it up and down.

Finnaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 360WE bundled with the controller is a sweet piece of equipment. You cant beat the adjustability this light system will give you. You wont have to worry about your lighting being the reason you cant keep any kind of coral you like.

OP
OP
T

TheChef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the input guys, I dont think Ill be splurging on a 360+Apex, too much money...so if I go w/ kessil It'd just be a 350w with a simple on/off timer

the Lumia is tempting, I'd just want to make sure it gets enough PUR down near the sand. LED group buy sells two adjustable optics for the 5.2: a 50-80degree optic, and a 80-110 degree optic. Im thinking the 80-110degree lense would offer the most, and the t5 would fill in the corners of the tank and the gaps in the spectrum

still up in the air, so keep the opinions coming

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not go for the 360 so that way when you do get ready to buy an apex you'll be all set! ;-)

OP
OP
T

TheChef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a 360 doesnt make much sense financially right now, however tempting. If I was going to spend $400+ I'd just drop two Lumia 5.2s on the makersLED heatsink and have the storm controller instead of the apex...but I think two lumia and a t5HO would turn most things into toast in a 50gal tank, so I can understand the desire for a 360. No slight meant to those who did buy a 360, just not in the books for this particular tank... maybe when Im out of gradschool and actually making a livable wage :cry:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back