Advice on how to proceed

legacy2mj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120 Gal Cade Reef S2 1200 SPS system. Running 5 years. Currently heavily stocked with SPS but could be considered a dense mixed reef since I pretty much have a little of everything in there.
I will be fragging out a lot of my current grow outs and replacing. I want to utilize as much of the tank as possible for acropora. I run 2 Kessil AP9x currently, plenty of power and PAR for acros and SPS… but very spotlight.
I currently have my eye on the aquatic life dimmable 48” T5 4 bulb hybrid fixture to upgrade too. I need more blanketed coverage and full light to reduce shadowing.
But…
I also see the quad Reef Brite LED Hybrid fixture.

Being my goal is primarily acropora, and being able the use a variety of depth in the tank as well. Do I go with the T5 fixture with the proven success? Or the new age LED Reef Brites?
**** I own an Apogee full spectrum PAR meter so regardless of the light? I can measure par amounts****

Advice in any direction would be awesome! Thank you!!!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn you AP's sideways and on one half of the tank and see if that provides "coverage" over one half. If yes, buy 2 more AP's and you have killer coverage and excellent SPS growth.

Otherwise, I got nothing for you, HTH. :cool:

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120 Gal Cade Reef S2 1200 SPS system. Running 5 years. Currently heavily stocked with SPS but could be considered a dense mixed reef since I pretty much have a little of everything in there.
I will be fragging out a lot of my current grow outs and replacing. I want to utilize as much of the tank as possible for acropora. I run 2 Kessil AP9x currently, plenty of power and PAR for acros and SPS… but very spotlight.
I currently have my eye on the aquatic life dimmable 48” T5 4 bulb hybrid fixture to upgrade too. I need more blanketed coverage and full light to reduce shadowing.
But…

I also see the quad Reef Brite LED Hybrid fixture.

Being my goal is primarily acropora, and being able the use a variety of depth in the tank as well. Do I go with the T5 fixture with the proven success? Or the new age LED Reef Brites?
**** I own an Apogee full spectrum PAR meter so regardless of the light? I can measure par amounts****

Advice in any direction would be awesome! Thank you!!!
It doesn't matter what PAR meter you have... between the 2... just go full T5s and your Acros will be amazing. Simplify the light and focus on other things like water changes and chemistry.
I wouldn't get the dimmable Aquatic Life. Get the regular ATI Sunpower instead. Not dimmable!

OP
OP
legacy2mj

legacy2mj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't matter what PAR meter you have... between the 2... just go full T5s and your Acros will be amazing. Simplify the light and focus on other things like water changes and chemistry.
I wouldn't get the dimmable Aquatic Life. Get the regular ATI Sunpower instead. Not dimmable!
Good to know. I have yet to hear anybody say they don’t like T5s. Iv just been seeing a ton of hype around the hybrid set ups. Maybe just because of the visual effects the LEDs can produce?
Is the reason you say not to do dimmable because the ballast goes bad or the bulbs don’t last long? I havnt had T5 bulbs so these are details I’m not aware of

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are used to kessil lights, T5 will look very different. I personally hate T5's because they are diffuse, light everything, and look unnatural. I use Kessil because it's the closest I can get to halide. I started 15 years ago with T5, despised it, and switched to halide. Now that halide isn't practical I use Kessil. I would supplement the Kessil with LED bars personally, but if you like that diffuse T5 look, go for it.

To each their own.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Good to know. I have yet to hear anybody say they don’t like T5s. Iv just been seeing a ton of hype around the hybrid set ups. Maybe just because of the visual effects the LEDs can produce?
Is the reason you say not to do dimmable because the ballast goes bad or the bulbs don’t last long? I havnt had T5 bulbs so these are details I’m not aware of

If you haven't seen T5, which it sounds like you haven't, it's a flat blanket of light. No shimmer, nothing. Some love it, some hate it.

It remains one of the best ways to light a tank, but T5 bulbs are going to start being hard to find relatively soon.

Judging from the different marine retailers stock, it would appear they are trying to clear them out for good (the fixtures). You'll be able to get bulbs for the next couple of years probably.

OP
OP
legacy2mj

legacy2mj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven't seen T5, which it sounds like you haven't, it's a flat blanket of light. No shimmer, nothing. Some love it, some hate it.

It remains one of the best ways to light a tank, but T5 bulbs are going to start being hard to find relatively soon.

Judging from the different marine retailers stock, it would appear they are trying to clear them out for good (the fixtures). You'll be able to get bulbs for the next couple of years probably.
I believe it, I know a guy locally that runs them. But they are also running with LEDs. So as far as sole T5 lighting, I have seen videos and such so I have an idea what that looks like. Thinking about it in that way does make me realize I would be disappointed to lose the visual appeal of what LEDs can produce. Which makes sense why the hybrid configuration is the popular route. You get the best of both worlds. It sounding like I would be best off to continue with the AP9xs. I would just suspend some blades or Xhos over the tank and program them to run with my Kessil schedule. But my ceiling is 30’ tall, so that type of suspension is out, unless I want to come off the wall with brackets or supports.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m happy with my aquatic life hybrid over my 180 gallon mixed reef. I use kessil a360we’s and T5’s. I see no reason to dim T5’s. I dim with my kessils.

Latest FTS:

IMG_0520.jpeg

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it, I know a guy locally that runs them. But they are also running with LEDs. So as far as sole T5 lighting, I have seen videos and such so I have an idea what that looks like. Thinking about it in that way does make me realize I would be disappointed to lose the visual appeal of what LEDs can produce. Which makes sense why the hybrid configuration is the popular route. You get the best of both worlds. It sounding like I would be best off to continue with the AP9xs. I would just suspend some blades or Xhos over the tank and program them to run with my Kessil schedule. But my ceiling is 30’ tall, so that type of suspension is out, unless I want to come off the wall with brackets or supports.
If I were going to supplement Kessil, this is what I would use.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back