LED vs MH/T5

Rjedreski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
Currently running an 80 gallon reef tank with wide variety of SPS that I consider successful and
Ran out of space to add coral & fish ,so I'm starting a new 190 gallon (60x27x27) with the theme
Being Acropra . I'm currently running the Radion gen 3 Pros and Ecco smart which works very nicely I must admit but for my new build I'm considering trying 400 w radiums / T5s as I've read a number of posts of reefers going back to MH for better SPS growth etc. . My question is what would you recommend for a high octane Acropra reef tank?
I'm tabling the energy / bulb replacement costs as I'm not using that in the equation yet.
Thanks
Rob

OP
OP
R

Rjedreski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
Currently running an 80 gallon reef tank with wide variety of SPS that I consider successful and
Ran out of space to add coral & fish ,so I'm starting a new 190 gallon (60x27x27) with the theme
Being Acropra . I'm currently running the Radion gen 3 Pros and Ecco smart which works very nicely I must admit but for my new build I'm considering trying 400 w radiums / T5s as I've read a number of posts of reefers going back to MH for better SPS growth etc. . My question is what would you recommend for a high octane Acropra reef tank?
I'm tabling the energy / bulb replacement costs as I'm not using that in the equation yet.
Thanks
Rob
Whoops I misspelled Acropora !

FoD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend MH/T5 with some LED actinic supplementation. ReefBrite seems to be popular pick for MH users. I went with Kessils for my actinic supplements.

Radions will grow Acros just fine, don't get me wrong. But Halides do it better. Period. If you already have the Radions, keep them and add more. I'd run 4 for that footprint, and I've always been a fan of adding a 2x54w or 4x54w T5 retro kit for spectrum fill with LEDs.

OP
OP
R

Rjedreski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks good thought on T5 supplement , do you feel it penetrates better or less shadowing ?
On the halide what do you think , 400w vs 250w ?
Rob

FoD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Helps with shadowing.

I'll be running 250w on my 250DD...same depth as yours. I'm also going to do at least 4x54w T5, and 3 Kessil A360's. I will test PAR with the 250's and make the call if that is good or go to 400. My guess is 250 will be plenty.

rovster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You asked the unanswerable question lol. If you are a hardcore acro purist, Halide is hard to beat, although LED makes an ok compromise. I've got 4 radions and 2 t5 over a 52" tank. They definitely work. My previous tank was radium with kessil actinic. Both tanks look great, radium tank had 10% better color. Growth is about the same.,..

OP
OP
R

Rjedreski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the feed back ,the consensus is MH & Acros can't go wrong , but
Radions and T5 will work , maybe it's down to light bulb changes, chillers and
Energy consumption ,tough choice !
Once again I appreciate the feedback and choices provided ,great forum
Rob

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 181 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back