LEDs, T5s and MHs for zoas discussion. What are your thoughts?

enzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you talking about you throw the grenade and show both hands saying you didn't do it. Why do you asked for others opinion just to get them all stird up? did you not say this in the beginning.
"I'll hope to see you guys talking about the subject and leaving your own point of view. I know there are probably people here that sold their LED fixtures to go back to T5s. Hope you guys could share your experiences as well. Or vice versa!"
Now you have this to say. "I don't think the others on this thread like @saltyfilmfolks, @enzo, @ChiCity and more are so much "upset" as they are frustrated with the baseless rhetoric you spew in this and other threads on the forum"
Speaking of spewing put up or shut up, show your amazing T5 ONLY Zoanthid fish tank. Show us how it's so much better than LED's.
Regards Enzo

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've learned very little about LEDs T5s and MHs and how it relates to the growth of zoas. Just saying.
I've learned very little about LEDs T5s and MHs and how it relates to the growth of zoas. Just saying.
Hi Dan,
The main goal of the thread was to let people know why I recommend t5s instead LEDs.
It was also to share info and opinions about the 3 different types of lights.
With the article I wanted to let people know my position, of course.
I was expecting to have a more technical type of thread and actually learn more about various aspects of light.
Although it didn't happen like that for the majority of the thread, I could learn some things here.
All the talk was good and I found that I'm not alone with my thoughts and the article.
If one comes to read the whole thing will at least consider the T5s and MHs, not only LEDs. That is great!
I also found that many of the people reproducing corals are not using LEDs, which doesn't surprises me due to the huge market. I liked that too!
Things got off road now and I apologize for that.
I enjoyed and appreciate your efforts here. Thanks you very much!
With respect,
Grandis.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still think zoas are toy coral.
they're to make the sand look nice in an sps tank.

id still blast if it with a MH if i had the cash. I like carbon arcs. cuz I jus do.

Eventually ill probably write down what the difference is between the sources. its kinds cool actually

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@A. grandis I can imagine the sentiment expressed by @Dan McNertney would likely be shared by many who would come to this thread. I don't think the others on this thread like @saltyfilmfolks, @enzo, @ChiCity and more are so much "upset" as they are frustrated with the baseless rhetoric you spew in this and other threads on the forum. And when this kind of rhetoric comes from someone who doesn't share any evidence that they are actually a practicing reefer (like even a single photo of their tank)... there is simply no credibility established and I personally feel it only serves to pollute an otherwise wonderful forum.
If you want to contribute and have constructive and objective discussions, then more power to you and as a member I welcome the exchange. But much if not all of what you post in this forum is one sided and far from objective. The success factors and variables in this hobby are so vast, I would personally challenge anyone with a narrow view of what is "best" for any reef system in this hobby.

My $0.02.... Mahalo!

Hi Lenny,
I agree with you. I was thinking and analyzing the way I posted my messages and somehow I sounded proud and arrogant instead playful and friendly. Proud is an adjective that doesn't fit much my personality in most cases. I understand now that the friends were frustrated and I apologize for that. The last thing I want is to bring such feelings to any forums!

I had the impression that the fellow reefers wanted to see my tank to laugh at me. LOL! I don't think my tank is any type of example 'cause when I see what you guys can have in the mainland it doesn't even get close to what we can obtain here. I was hoping my option would be respected, but instead many got aggressive. My tank is just a polyp tank!

Another reason why I didn't post pictures of my system is because I don't need to prove anything with my tank after posting those wonderful SPS systems with T5s. T5s are called proven lights and LEDs aren't. That said one can only understand and see that at the present moment LEDs are still crawling and actually trying to become like the T5s, proving my point when I opened this thread. I'm happy for that.

All the conversations in this thread weren't to the scientific level and just opinions on both sides.

I'm also happy to see that other fellows were avidly participating here. They have the same point of view that I have and many times they can use their words in such a great way to explain their points. Thanks guys!!!

I'm really sorry if you think I'm posting one sided and far from objective.
Perhaps I was wrong when I thought I was helping many when I decided to bring up this contradicted subject.
I've heard before from friends that I wouldn't make any difference talking about LEDs because there are far more people using them today than the "old style" or "old school" lights... I have to believe they are right.
But I am very happy I opened this thread because today people can have this as a reference and read about the discussions here. I bet many are considering now to change or at least have a combo over their tanks. That is one of my objectives here! I'm actually giving my advices to see other people having a better tank.

Thanks for the message and I apologize for any inconvenience.
I'll try to be back to my regular schedule now and hope you guys can forgive me for saying, some times harshly, what I believe would be the best in my posts.
Aloha,
Grandis.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you talking about you throw the grenade and show both hands saying you didn't do it. Why do you asked for others opinion just to get them all stird up? did you not say this in the beginning.
"I'll hope to see you guys talking about the subject and leaving your own point of view. I know there are probably people here that sold their LED fixtures to go back to T5s. Hope you guys could share your experiences as well. Or vice versa!"
Now you have this to say. "I don't think the others on this thread like @saltyfilmfolks, @enzo, @ChiCity and more are so much "upset" as they are frustrated with the baseless rhetoric you spew in this and other threads on the forum"
Speaking of spewing put up or shut up, show your amazing T5 ONLY Zoanthid fish tank. Show us how it's so much better than LED's.
Regards Enzo
Hi enzo:
Yes, the first quote I wrote.
I'm sorry but you are mistaken and mixing the messages... the second quote was from Lenny.

Well... it's not anything amazing, but after so many requests I'll post a picture that my youngest just son took the other day.
He is good taking pictures. His cell is actually much better than mine. LOL!!!

Here it is:
75gal system with 6 bulb ATI Power Modeule and ATB skimmer, artificial rocks made out of concrete and coral skeletons. I have total of 10 healthy and happy fish in this system.
I'm sorry, we can't keep hard corals in Hawaii. That's why I have only zoas. All the polyps were individually collected by me and reproduced in the same tank during the last 8+ years. There is absolutely no natural live rock in this system.
My DLNR friends know that!
This picture isn't to prove anything that we discussed about lights.
The SPS tanks that I posted from other reeefers are way better proof for us to look into.
IMG_0338_zpsgkynosgp.jpg

And this for you::p;)o_O
No hard feelings!
Grandis.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they're to make the sand look nice in an sps tank.

id still blast if it with a MH if i had the cash. I like carbon arcs. cuz I jus do.

Eventually ill probably write down what the difference is between the sources. its kinds cool actually
Well, in my house tank I have to put zoas all over the place 'cause that's what I can have. LOL!
Grandis.

Lenny_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@A. grandis regarding tank pictures and sharing... there is never anything to be ashamed of and it isn't a competition. If you look at my build thread, I don't just put pictures of a pretty and clean tank... when I have had issues I've posted pictures of that too. Every single person in this hobby has had some kind of experience that wasn't what they wanted. I put the bad with the good so others going through tough time can see that it does eventually get better.
On the LED v T5 front... they both have their pluses and minuses ... T5 is simple, effective, and pretty low up from cost... but in the long run after buying bulbs every 9-10 months it gets more expensive. And if you want programmability and more control then it can be even more expensive. LED are sleek, highly configurable, and also effective. But they are harder to dial in and cost more up front in most cases.
I've used both individually and had similar success individually. I saw the BRS 160 with an LED/T5 hybrid and thought that was a great idea, so I'm trying a combo myself.
When I have my direct experience to share, I'll share it. Sure some opinion will be thrown in, and I'll clearly distinguish my opinions from the observations.
And that's what makes for something useful vs. just a lot of noise.
Be well, and happy reefing.

dricc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi enzo:
I'm sorry but you are mistaken and mixing the messages... the second quote was from Lenny.

Well... it's not anything amazing, but after so many requests I'll post a picture that my youngest just son took the other day.

Here it is:
75gal system with 6 bulb ATI Power Modeule and ATB skimmer, artificial rocks made out of concrete and coral skeletons. I have total of 10 healthy and happy fish in this system.
I'm sorry, we can't keep hard corals in Hawaii. That's why I have only zoas. All the polyps were individually collected by me and reproduced in the same tank during the last 8+ years. There is absolutely no natural live rock in this system.
The SPS tanks that I posted from other reeefers are way better proof for us to look into.
IMG_0338_zpsgkynosgp.jpg

No hard feelings!
Grandis.

Lenny_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

enzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A.Grandis my appologies I must have jumped the gun. Your tank I really nice, I personally like softies over sps, and I know I'm going to hear from some people but I really don't care its just what I like. I don't think I've seen so many zoathids clustered together like that, to me that's a great tank thank you for sharing. Now I can put my foot in my mouth.

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi enzo:

Here it is:
IMG_0338_zpsgkynosgp.jpg

No hard feelings!
Grandis.

You should post pictures more often...
That is a beautiful tank man!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back