Leftover Bio-Spira

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My QT wasn’t quite ready so I bought a bottle of Bio-Spira to speed it up. I know that the instructions say to use the whole lot but my QT is only 5 gallons and even the smallest Bio-Spira is good for 30 gallons. Using it all seemed a waste, so I used 1/3 of a bottle.

I have put the rest of the bottle back in the fridge. Do you think any of the bacteria will survive to be able to be used at a later date?

I figured that if it doesn’t work again then I haven’t lost anything, as 1/3 bottle was enough to kick start my cycle and the rest would have been wasted anyway.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should be fine refrigerated; at least the manufacturers say you can extend their self life that way

Last edited:

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the bio spira I have bought and used were no seals. Also it didn’t say it needs to refrigerated but dr tims.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My QT wasn’t quite ready so I bought a bottle of Bio-Spira to speed it up. I know that the instructions say to use the whole lot but my QT is only 5 gallons and even the smallest Bio-Spira is good for 30 gallons. Using it all seemed a waste, so I used 1/3 of a bottle.

I have put the rest of the bottle back in the fridge. Do you think any of the bacteria will survive to be able to be used at a later date?

I figured that if it doesn’t work again then I haven’t lost anything, as 1/3 bottle was enough to kick start my cycle and the rest would have been wasted anyway.
It will weaken over time. Look for the expiration date. Refrigeration may help.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back