Leopard Wrasse in Acclimation Tank Looks/Plays Dead but Not Dead

Rugops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title suggests, my female blue star leopard wrasse has been in a transitioning tank (raising salinity level to match display salinity).

It has been 4 days and it hasn't eaten but it had been swimming around in the evening.

It was upside down between two pipes and it seemed dead but it was alive abliet breathing slowly. This is the 2nd time it has done this although it was in the sand before I shut off the lights.

Wondering if I should get a refund.

10 minutes ago:
1000001814.jpg

now after giving it a slight poke to see if was alive:

OP
OP
Rugops

Rugops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't see the second image/video you attached. What are you feeding it? Make sure not to give it even more stress. Check it's mouth for damage.
I saw it peck some flake once (2nd day) but I haven't seen it eat since.

Vid was just the breathing rate. Each breathing rate is like 0.4 of a second.

The mouth appears undamaged. I will try to get a closer shot.

OP
OP
Rugops

Rugops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today they will be going into the display anyways. I am uncertain if I should put the wrasse in there.

The sump has more pods but no lid.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the transitioning tank, do you have pods in there?

Another way to entice them into eating is with hatched baby brine shrimp or ROE.

@Crabby48 this leopard is having a rough acclimation. Better to move it to display or keep it in the transitioning tank till it is moving in and out the sand and eating?

OP
OP
Rugops

Rugops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the transitioning tank, do you have pods in there?

Another way to entice them into eating is with hatched baby brine shrimp or ROE.

@Crabby48 this leopard is having a rough acclimation. Better to move it to display or keep it in the transitioning tank till it is moving in and out the sand and eating?
No pods. It is temporary. Maybe tbe sand I added might have had some. It's not easy to tell.

I have brine eggs but no hatchery. I just finished the ROE.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be sick but probably because of stress. Leopards can have a hard time adjusting to such an in natural setting. Only the strong will do ok. She is very weak and moving her could be to much but leaving her it won’t probably end well unfortunately.
I treat and keep little sand on the bottom. Just enough they can bury. A weak leopard won’t be able to bury. Some won’t adjust to a container of sand. You have smaller tank other fish and unnatural setting. Also you watching the tank is all stress for her.
She isn’t going to eat not feeling comfortable. If she eats anything it will be after hours so live foods or foods you can leave in the tank could help. Even nori has worked. But honestly I doubt she will eat anything at this point

OP
OP
Rugops

Rugops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be sick but probably because of stress. Leopards can have a hard time adjusting to such an in natural setting. Only the strong will do ok. She is very weak and moving her could be to much but leaving her it won’t probably end well unfortunately.
I treat and keep little sand on the bottom. Just enough they can bury. A weak leopard won’t be able to bury. Some won’t adjust to a container of sand. You have smaller tank other fish and unnatural setting. Also you watching the tank is all stress for her.
Agreed with the setting. They are going to go in today. Wondering if the sump would be a better place to put it into. I have guppies in there and no competition.

She has been burying into the container of sand which is probably good.

I have put a towel over the tank for the duration she's been in there. Only remove it to feed.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with the setting. They are going to go in today. Wondering if the sump would be a better place to put it into. I have guppies in there and no competition.

She has been burying into the container of sand which is probably good.

I have put a towel over the tank for the duration she's been in there. Only remove it to feed.
Hard to say about the sump. Pumps and skimmers could be dangerous if she is very weak. Also the setting of your sump.
Keeping her with chill fish can help her eat from monkey see monkey do.
How is your display for fish? Are they chill and be lower stress. She could hide if she has the energy and then come out for pods at night. Fish can live a long time on pods.

If it was me and wasn’t worried about transferring a sick fish to my display I would as a last ditch move to display. It’s hard not being in person and watching the fish and even then it’s hard. Trust your heart and gut. When they are balanced then pick a plan and go with it.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you add pods? $20 brine hatchery and a desk light you could hatch brine shrimp and dump some in. I keep pods in my qt tanks and when a fish won’t eat prepared I use live brine. They won’t eat out of water column but pick at night. I also try and stay back from the tank so they can’t see me. Once they realize you’re the food monster they will be more comfortable around you. Keep your interactions short and positive

OP
OP
Rugops

Rugops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say about the sump. Pumps and skimmers could be dangerous if she is very weak. Also the setting of your sump.
Keeping her with chill fish can help her eat from monkey see monkey do.
How is your display for fish? Are they chill and be lower stress. She could hide if she has the energy and then come out for pods at night. Fish can live a long time on pods.

If it was me and wasn’t worried about transferring a sick fish to my display I would as a last ditch move to display. It’s hard not being in person and watching the fish and even then it’s hard. Trust your heart and gut. When they are balanced then pick a plan and go with it.
No skimmer. Pump is caged off.

Display has a coral beauty, a pintail and canary wrasse. Wrasses are chill but coral beauty did nip a bit towards the wrasses when I added them but it was small little nips.

I think display is best choice. Canary is small. Wrasses are chill and probably could be of help showing leopard how to eat.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No skimmer. Pump is caged off.

Display has a coral beauty, a pintail and canary wrasse. Wrasses are chill but coral beauty did nip a bit towards the wrasses when I added them but it was small little nips.

I think display is best choice. Canary is small. Wrasses are chill and probably could be of help showing leopard how to eat.
I think you are right about the display being best. The CB can be a pain to wrasse in the beginning but once the wrasse settles it won’t care about the CB most times. She can hide and eat live foods to get strength. Fingers crossed for you

OP
OP
Rugops

Rugops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About to put it in. Leopard is alive but laying upside down.

OP
OP
Rugops

Rugops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just put them in.
Both are looking good. CB is more concerned with the butterfly.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 115 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.1%
Back