Leopard wrasse qt

z-reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening,
I was hoping you might be able to provide me with some advice regarding my leopard wrasse (2inches) I have had him for 2 weeks now and when he is eating it seems to me his breathing is quite fast. I was wondering if this would be something to treat for I have attached a video for your consideration.

tank setup
- 10gallon with Tupperware of sand, cycled with dr tims and established media from tank
- air stone and power head for oxygen exchange

Parameters
- 0 ammonia
- 8pH and
- 78 degree temperature
Medications used
- none so far, she was buried in the sand for 1 week and a half and I wanted to get her eating before starting anything. She currently eats mysis, pellets and pods
- medications available: prazipro (expired in 2017 not sure if it’s safe but unavailable to purchase new), fenbendazole and flubendazole, copper sulfate (cupramine not allowed here)

I have attached a video for your consideration:

Thank you for your help!

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening,
I was hoping you might be able to provide me with some advice regarding my leopard wrasse (2inches) I have had him for 2 weeks now and when he is eating it seems to me his breathing is quite fast. I was wondering if this would be something to treat for I have attached a video for your consideration.

tank setup
- 10gallon with Tupperware of sand, cycled with dr tims and established media from tank

Parameters
- 0 ammonia
- 8pH and
- 78 degree temperature
Medications used
- none so far, she was buried in the sand for 1 week and a half and I wanted to get her eating before starting anything. She currently eats mysis, pellets and pods
- medications available: prazipro (expired in 2017 not sure if it’s safe but unavailable to purchase new), fenbendazole and flubendazole, copper sulfate (cupramine not allowed here)

Thank you for your help!

It’s all about getting this guy eating currently. Do you have a filter creating more oxygen as well? If not, I would consider getting another air stone if the breathing continues to appear healthy.

If he is in fact eating mysis, pellets and pods I would treat this guy with Prazipro ASAP to ensure he is dewormed and doesn’t have flukes.

That extra air stone would be useful for when you dose Prazi anyway since it depletes oxygen even further.

Here is a link to my 3 Blue Star Leopards I QT’d over the summer this past July.

OP
OP
Z

z-reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply currently have 1 airstone and a powerhead pointed at the surface with extras available just in case. She seems to be eating no problem so far. As for the prazi any thought on using the current one even though it is expired. Like I mentioned it is no longer available for sale here so I wouldn’t be able to acquire a new bottle

OP
OP
Z

z-reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening,

tank setup

Parameters
- 0 ammonia
- 8pH and
- 78 degree temperature
Medications used

Thank you for your help!

Any thoughts @Jay Hemdal

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply currently have 1 airstone and a powerhead pointed at the surface with extras available just in case. She seems to be eating no problem so far. As for the prazi any thought on using the current one even though it is expired. Like I mentioned it is no longer available for sale here so I wouldn’t be able to acquire a new bottle
I’m no expert and would wait for @Jay Hemdal to reply on the expired Prazipro.

I just figured I would share my thread since it all worked out and I have 3 fat healthy Blue Star’s that I got through QT!

OP
OP
Z

z-reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m no expert and would wait for @Jay Hemdal to reply on the expired Prazipro.

I just figured I would share my thread since it all worked out and I have 3 fat healthy Blue Star’s that I got through QT!
Just finished reading it thanks! Did you have any trouble with them still operating on the opposite time zone?

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished reading it thanks! Did you have any trouble with them still operating on the opposite time zone?
For sure, I checked late at night and in middle of the night first week I had them. There is an adjustment period probably took the 2 weeks to adjust to the time schedule.

They are still probably my three favorite fish. They have specific bed times and wake up times to this day but are adjusted to my photoperiod now.

Where did you get yours from?

OP
OP
Z

z-reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure, I checked late at night and in middle of the night first week I had them. There is an adjustment period probably took the 2 weeks to adjust to the time schedule.

They are still probably my three favorite fish. They have specific bed times and wake up times to this day but are adjusted to my photoperiod now.

Where did you get yours from?
Oh yeah I’m going through that phase then she is active from 8pm-6am so I feed then. Got it online from an LFS in Canada

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah I’m going through that phase then she is active from 8pm-6am so I feed then. Got it online from an LFS in Canada
That’s awesome! In my opinion, half the battle is getting a Blue Star Leopard Wrasse to eat so you are in a good spot. Hopefully Jay can weigh in for you on the Prazi, but I highly recommend it for all wrasses.

I actually ordered all 3 of mine from LiveAquaria.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening,

tank setup

Parameters
- 0 ammonia
- 8pH and
- 78 degree temperature
Medications used

Thank you for your help!

I'm leaning towards gill flukes. The reason why is the rapid breathing combined with the fish still picking for food. Amyloodinium (velvet) can cause rapid breathing, but in that case, the fish won't feed. Flukes don't stop a fish from feeding until close to the end.

The problem is I cannot advise you about the expired Prazipro, I've never tried it out of date. Praziquantel itself has a shelf life, and the solvent they use might also. I actually know the guy who invented this, but I messaged him a few weeks ago and he never got back with me, so I don't have a way to reach out to him to ask.

As I had mentioned, these fish are so delicate, I'd want to be as hands off as much as possible. A freshwater dip, if done properly *might* buy you some time by providing temporary relief.

Jay

OP
OP
Z

z-reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm leaning towards gill flukes. The reason why is the rapid breathing combined with the fish still picking for food. Amyloodinium (velvet) can cause rapid breathing, but in that case, the fish won't feed. Flukes don't stop a fish from feeding until close to the end.

The problem is I cannot advise you about the expired Prazipro, I've never tried it out of date. Praziquantel itself has a shelf life, and the solvent they use might also. I actually know the guy who invented this, but I messaged him a few weeks ago and he never got back with me, so I don't have a way to reach out to him to ask.

As I had mentioned, these fish are so delicate, I'd want to be as hands off as much as possible. A freshwater dip, if done properly *might* buy you some time by providing temporary relief.

Jay
For the freshwater dip would you recommend ro water with a squirt of tank water or prime + tap water?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prime plus tap water, and aerate during the dip to keep the fish moving. Don’t let the fish jump out, keep it dim, and try to go the full 5 minutes. Use a dark container and observe the bottom afterwards for possible flukes. Then, see if the fish is breathing better after a day.
Remember, this is not risk free, but if a fish dies during or soon after a dip, it was destined to die soon any way ....
Jay

OP
OP
Z

z-reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prime plus tap water, and aerate during the dip to keep the fish moving. Don’t let the fish jump out, keep it dim, and try to go the full 5 minutes. Use a dark container and observe the bottom afterwards for possible flukes. Then, see if the fish is breathing better after a day.
Remember, this is not risk free, but if a fish dies during or soon after a dip, it was destined to die soon any way ....
Jay
Thanks, just completed the dip, nothing fell off during the dip but the breathing seems to be better today. Will keep observing

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 50.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.4%
Back