Leptos bleached during dip

Sablah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS had a $3 frag sale, and I picked up 6 frags. 3 of them are leptos (something hulk, jack o lantern, and not sure the third). I'm not sure what the other 3 frags are, some sort of LPS or SPS. (The person who was helping me wasn't sure on the identification, I was in a hurry and didn't wait the 10 minutes until the other employee who knew what they all were came back from break). I acclimated them then dipped all of them in ME Wash Off (.45ml to 12 oz of tank water). I sprayed them with the turkey baster while submerged, and all color on the 3 leptos washed away, except for one small spot on the green hulk one. At first I thought it was algae or something since it washed away pretty much instantly. I searched online and couldn't find anything about corals instantly turning white when dipping, except for a few anecdotes of people dipping SPS in RODI. Just sitting in the dip they did fine, it wasn't until I hit them with a jet of water that the color washed off and dirtied the water brown.

20210329_190652.jpg

I'm brand new to corals (other than keeping some GSP and mushrooms), and only got these because they were cheap and I wanted to see if my tank was ready to support corals. Is this bleaching something that they can recover from?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can recover from bleaching if it is actually bleached and the flesh isn’t gone.

I have never used that dip but that isn’t normal... I would be hesitant to use that again! I use coral rx for 5 min

OP
OP
Sablah

Sablah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got a jack o lantern lepto for 3 bux! Wow
I didn't think anything of the price until you said something. Looking at he prices they sell for online, I might go back and get the other couple they had, only do something different for the dip lol

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to me like you melted the flesh off of all of them, but if they are regaining color, I guess not?

Are you sure it's not just algae starting to grow?

Back