Less intrusive cooling fan ideas - Fluval Evo

  • Thread starter Thread starter namfuak
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

namfuak

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 10, 2020
Messages
248
Reaction score
255
Location
Anaheim
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Fluval Evo 13.5 has been set up for almost 4 months now and I'm not looking forward to the SoCal heat which will be upon us in no time. While I'm not particularly worried with a mesh lid, I would like to be able to actively cool when hitting that .2 degree threshold.

My thinking would be to clip or attach a fan to the gooseneck mount of my AI Prime. I have looked at all kinds of clip on fans on Amazon, but not sure what to get that would fit the following criteria.

  • Not too big
  • Variable speed
  • Quiet
  • Lightweight
  • Doesn't look too out of place or intrusive
  • Preferably AC powered (only reason is that I'm not sure how all the new USB fans compare in terms of power and sound)
If anyone has any pointers, recommendations, or ideas, I would appreciate it. Tank reference photo....

20210114_163709.jpg
 
bump

good luck with the heat... says the guy in SW Florida! I use a chiller, fans just aren't enough in our house.

Good luck.
 
I ended up getting a cheap fan on amazon that I could clip to the AI Prime gooseneck. It's super ugly and looks huge, but works. Temps got into the 90s for a couple days here and it came just in time to test it out.

20210121_154337.jpg
 
I printed a couple brackets, mounted a 120 mm case fan, and plugged it into an Inkbird. Super quiet. Seldom comes on but does the trick when it does. I mounted it at the back in the shadow cast by my light diffuser. Super clean looking. If I were at home I would post pictures. I did go the tacky way and put a Blue LED model on. when the fan comes on it lights up blue. I did this because it is stone silent. I can at least see that the temp is climbing if the light is on.
 
Last edited:
I take it back. I have a picture with it. Forgive my dirty little tank. There is a guy on etsy selling similar brackets.
Etsy 3D brackets

This fan or one like it I cannot recall. Won't matter. Just buy a switched DC power supply that matches the draw from the fan you select.
Amazon 120mm case fan
Tank1.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new