lesson learned

Don_Jorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i recently had a diatom outbreak and quickly found it was due to my UV being clogged, but this also brought up other questions. I have the UV running to fight off parasites etc but now im realizing it must have been keeping the diatoms at bay. When i bought my RO unit i wasnt aware you needed a DI add on, I figured water at 5 TDS would never have enough phosphates/silicates to cause a problem. I've since then ordered a DI add one from marine depot and cleaned out my UV, Which leaves me with the cleanup on the rocks. from my understanding UV will only kill what goes through the light so should i brush the rocks off and let it filter through the UV, or will the diatoms dissipate on their own with a clean UV? I know after the DI unit it will eventually clear up on its own but im a rather impatient person lol TIA

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatoms are normal in a new establishing reef, once the silicate is used up they’ll fade away. I wouldn’t worry about them.

OP
OP
Don_Jorge

Don_Jorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the thing tho they had already faded away then when they came back i started checking filtration.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.6%
Back