Let’s talk dirty water and Sps

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet it is unfortunately you lost me with the BRS generated video lol jk
I have to admit they cover a broad range of topics relating to reef stuff and I have used them often in my research, I also purchase stuff from them often too if my local LFS does not have it in stock.

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to admit they cover a broad range of topics relating to reef stuff and I have used them often in my research, I also purchase stuff from them often too if my local LFS does not have it in stock.
They do, but they’re also looking to sell product and what better way to push it! Lol

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do, but they’re also looking to sell product and what better way to push it! Lol
agreed but if you are going to be in business then you have to use all the tools and resources to be successful. They are not my only source by far but they do hold a good market share of the reefing community for informational videos and products.

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have zero issues with brs I’ve actually bought all my stuff this go around from them.. their videos I just take with a grain of salt… some are great some are great for selling product lol..

Nevets9333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had success with sps at different ranges as long as their are some nutrients in the water, however not letting algea take over as levels rise is another story..

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had success with sps at different ranges as long as their are some nutrients in the water, however not letting algea take over as levels rise is another story..
That’s the weird thing! This tank is super dirty “nitrate” but zero algae.. I’m guessing my po4 is very low.. haven’t tested it because I don’t have a Hannah checker yet.. gonna order one today and see..

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was a thread a few months ago right here in the SPS section, about where most SPS keepers keep their nutrients.

99% of us that keep colorful sticks keep nitrates in the 10 to 20 ppm range, and phosphates in the 0.1 to 0.2 range, some even higher.

ULNS work, but run on a razor edge. The corals are so used to being starved, that a tip in either direction kills them(kind of why SPS used to be so hard back in the day). We now know corals love nutrients, the more the merrier up to a point.

While I have no issues keeping most SPS, and my tank is 99% acro's, I would not consider myself a guru. My nutrients fall around 23ppm nitrates, and anywhere between 0.1 and 0.2 phosphates. I get above 0.2 and I run a small bit of GFO to drop them down to around 0.1.

Stability is 99% of the solution to keeping SPS, not what your actual numbers are.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My last system naturally ran near undetectable as acros started to grow well/large for the tank volume. I feed heavy and kept a decent amount of fish and things looked great at that range. Things were hardy but also under MH/led. Color was great. Near undetectable was pretty much zero on test kits or very close to it but ICP would show traces of both no3/po4.

This system is larger and a year in has settled 20-25ppm nitrates and .08-.12 phosphates. Things are looking pretty good, nicely colored and growth seems to be okay lately too (things are still kinda small so hard to compare growth). Lit by t5/led. I feed heavy with a good amount of fish and large skimmer.

As others stated I think the key is stability in the values and also a constant supply of food. Multiple feedings a day with a good amount of fish results in a nice stable/constant food source. In my experience if I can get detectable nutrients from feeding the fish my coral appear much more happy than if I'm relying on dosing no3/po4.

It's pretty cool to see nutrients can get as high as 100ppm and acros still color up. I'm interested to see what the po4 is. I bet there's some detectable if you have larger herbivores in the system.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Cali tort is loving it! Even got a pc rainbow that was brown as could be when I got it and now a bright gold color.. I also have a ora pearl berry that was brown but now is turning all purple.. curious if the white and blue will come out, time will tell.
I would say all those are easy acros that can color up in most tanks. When you can get the real high end stuff to color up, then we are talking.

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say all those are easy acros that can color up in most tanks. When you can get the real high end stuff to color up, then we are talking.
I’ll have those shortly… should be picking up a home wrecker here this week! I wanted to make sure this tank was gonna be okay before going all out! Idk if the previous owner used copper which I believe he did cause there was some ich treatment stuff in the cabinet with the sump.. everything seems fine so it’s all systems go! Lol

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll have those shortly… should be picking up a home wrecker here this week! I wanted to make sure this tank was gonna be okay before going all out! Idk if the previous owner used copper which I believe he did cause there was some ich treatment stuff in the cabinet with the sump.. everything seems fine so it’s all systems go! Lol
Homewrecker from where!?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This month's coral magazine featuring Richard Ross.
Po4 up to 0.9...

16678699773371584410892207514653.jpg

RIC13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Recent interview with Victor from WWC stated NO3 15-25 and PO4 less then .08 is how they run to make the amazing colors. Only can be achieved with dosing.

I have found that I can run at these levels with out dosing regularly. I run a mixed reef and my sticks are colorful and taking off. I feel like I can see the growth daily.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed but if you are going to be in business then you have to use all the tools and resources to be successful. They are not my only source by far but they do hold a good market share of the reefing community for informational videos and products.
And if you sell products that work poorly your customers might not believe your advice anymore.
Keeping customers is best if you expand knowledge that keeps customers coral growing nicely.

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was a thread a few months ago right here in the SPS section, about where most SPS keepers keep their nutrients.

99% of us that keep colorful sticks keep nitrates in the 10 to 20 ppm range, and phosphates in the 0.1 to 0.2 range, some even higher.

ULNS work, but run on a razor edge. The corals are so used to being starved, that a tip in either direction kills them(kind of why SPS used to be so hard back in the day). We now know corals love nutrients, the more the merrier up to a point.

While I have no issues keeping most SPS, and my tank is 99% acro's, I would not consider myself a guru. My nutrients fall around 23ppm nitrates, and anywhere between 0.1 and 0.2 phosphates. I get above 0.2 and I run a small bit of GFO to drop them down to around 0.1.

Stability is 99% of the solution to keeping SPS, not what your actual numbers are.
This has been my experience - you can grow corals in super low nutrients, or super high alkalinity - but everything is really fragile, or touchy. Things just go bad so much faster.

7dkh, .08, 15ppm though? Stuff is bullet proof.

I can name countless products that were flops that BRS pushed the heck out of, and was the best thing in reefing since artificial salt.

Vibrant to name one.
It's less the flops that bother me, and more of the reports of things killing tanks (like Vibrant, and the TM Turkey salt) where they spend months and months gaslighting people before admitting there's a problem.

And all the bad advice that leads to newbies thinking they need to dose a dozen things to keep mushrooms.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back