Montipora problems

Costareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have picked up 3x now montipora tropic thunder frags and everytime they shed their flesh usually over days. The one I added shed it over night. I added other monti species last night without problem but this one I have no clue what’s happening. 20ppm nitrate .03 phosphate alk 8.5 ph steady at 8.3. It makes zero sense I’ve been in the hobby for 25+ years and never seen anything like it. I run my AIs on a low setting so that isn’t the issue either. Very frustrating. All other montipora species thrive in my tank. Here the frag in question

0A62A516-530B-467A-961F-2AD489034585.jpeg

Joekovar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first thought is to wonder if you're getting the frags from the same place each time. Not to say it's a bad source, as apparently they're doing well where they're coming from, but rather whether there's something that's significantly different between the source system, and yours, that's causing a shock to that species.

My second thought is to try and get one with a gallon or more water from the source, and try to acclimate it to the new water over a period of 24-48 hours.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back