Let the eggs live or suck them up?

accidental_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, I’ve googled imaged through a bunch of photos but haven’t found eggs looking like these and in this pattern, ie, clusters of strings of white eggs. The closest they look like (to me) are trochus but haven’t seen them in that pattern. So not sure whether these will be pests (assuming they are eggs).

I have astrea, trochus, bumble bee, nassarious (the brown ones), and stomatella snails. I have a couple of blue hermit crabs and a couple of hitchhikers, which appear to be porcelain and gorilla crabs (traps unsuccessful to date). There also appears to be a bunch of brittle starfishes. I also think I have a pin cushion hitchhiker. I think I have some worms but not sure which ones.

I could take clear photos only under blue light. Thanks for the insight.

IMG_1491.jpeg IMG_1492.jpeg

OP
OP
A

accidental_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, they look pure white or transparent/whitish — although most of them looks to have disappeared (but no fish in the tank and water movement did not appear to be moving them yesterday).

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, they look pure white or transparent/whitish — although most of them looks to have disappeared (but no fish in the tank and water movement did not appear to be moving them yesterday).
Interesting - they look far too irregular/not uniform enough (at least size-wise) to be any eggs that I'm aware of. Regardless, if they're eggs and they've disappeared, then they've likely hatched: pelagic larvae wouldn't last long in a normal tank, but benthic larvae could see potentially see some survivors.

Keep us updated if anything new pops up that may have come from these.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%

Back