Let's build a trap door leading to a secret fish room under my porch!

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
great pump for auto water change applications

Like one of these? :cool: I probably should order new tubes for it but it is ready to go otherwise.

IMG_3615.jpeg

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Curious, what have you been doing prior to this for topoffs and WC’s? A 220 aint tiny.
Nothing! I setup the tank about two years ago, top of the line everything, quarantined all my fish and then things got crazy. Super busy at work because of the covid thing, then we had our 5th baby! He will be 1 years old May 4th.

So I’ve been patient and kept it fish only all this time. I also need to setup a coral quarantine before I can add coral, so I have some time to dial things in.

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Day 3. Time to get the floor on.

First I need to get this pesky joist out of my way. Can’t be important right?

IMG_3618.jpeg

Snip snip…. I did sloppy cuts with a sawzall leaving extra material for now and will clean them up when I frame the door.

IMG_3620.jpeg

I put a bucket down there for scale. Plenty of room to work in, I like it.

Next, I cut the 8x4 sheets of pressure treated 3/4” ply to size. If you don’t have a track saw you really should. I hate using my Festool stuff on PT trash but oh well!

IMG_3624.jpeg

Next, I added blocking under the decking joints and started laying out the deck and screwing it to the joists.

For size reference, that is a full 8x4’ sheet of plywood standing up in the hole.

IMG_3623.jpeg

Moving right along…

IMG_3625.jpeg

Done!!

IMG_3629.jpeg

Only took me an hour.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Day 3. Time to get the floor on.

First I need to get this pesky joist out of my way. Can’t be important right?

IMG_3618.jpeg

Snip snip…. I did sloppy cuts with a sawzall leaving extra material for now and will clean them up when I frame the door.

IMG_3620.jpeg

I put a bucket down there for scale. Plenty of room to work in, I like it.

Next, I cut the 8x4 sheets of pressure treated 3/4” ply to size. If you don’t have a track saw you really should. I hate using my Festool stuff on PT trash but oh well!

IMG_3624.jpeg

Next, I added blocking under the decking joints and started laying out the deck and screwing it to the joists.

For size reference, that is a full 8x4’ sheet of plywood standing up in the hole.

IMG_3623.jpeg

Moving right along…

IMG_3625.jpeg

Done!!

IMG_3629.jpeg

Only took me an hour.
Can I hire you ??? Haha

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I get the no permission or consulting with the wife, you may want to let her know what you are doing or she could be in for a rude awakening if she wanders onto your porch at night . :)

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
While I get the no permission or consulting with the wife, you may want to let her know what you are doing or she could be in for a rude awakening if she wanders onto your porch at night . :)

Together almost 20 years, I know what I can get away with at this point. I mostly stay out of trouble these days!

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, I recall. I followed your build. Got the idea for the tubular shade motor for my lights from you.
Wow, didn’t realize you were fish only all this time. Life happens.
Yes I actually have really enjoyed the fish only period since everything is quarantined. It is so low stress and I have enough automation I hardly have to lift a finger.

It has made me reconsider my goals for the tank as a reef. Instead of chasing high end acros like I used to, I am going to focus on hardy fast growing corals and low stress. I want big colonies instead of a bunch of fragile sticks. Not sure exactly what that means yet. I want it to be more like my 90s tanks. We’ll see.

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
looks great, good idea

Thanks!

I'm following along because it's rare to see outside the box projects.

If I can make only one request, more pictures!!... please

Thanks for following, yeah I will try to get more pictures. I thought it might be too boring. I have some gloves somewhere that still lets me tap my iPhone screen.

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does your track saw ever bind up with sanded or PT ply? I have the Makita saw and it has a tendency to bind on anything that isn't birch or better. I'm wondering how much festool's riving knife would make a difference.

And as far as the wife's permission, sometimes it's better to just do what you need/want to do and sweet talk later. I'm in the middle of a crazy sump and stand transition which has left parts strewn across the family room for the last week. My wife has been telling me a lot that she loves me. I think she's trying to convince herself of that fact....

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does your track saw ever bind up with sanded or PT ply? I have the Makita saw and it has a tendency to bind on anything that isn't birch or better. I'm wondering how much festool's riving knife would make a difference.

As long as the piece is fully supported on both sides of the cut, I've never had it bind on anything, and I've cut pretty much everything with it at this point.

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is a 5 minute Sketchup drawing of what I have in mind. Everything here is to scale except the height from the floor to the porch... I'll have to measure that and update tonight.

Screenshot_R1.png

And here is top-down view to give a sense of how much room I have to maneuver around in.

Screenshot_R2.png

I don't actually have a cat. Or a beard.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back