Lets have some fun! Best "Worst Advice" Award!

  • Thread starter Thread starter ahiggins
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 13, 2016
Messages
4,827
Reaction score
3,397
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!
We have all been new at one point and have had some pretty weird advice given to us. Some works while others are so off the wall!
So....
Whats the best "worst advice" you have ever read/saw/experienced first hand??

Ill start off:
"take out the live rock and boil/cook it on the stove to get rid of xxx"
 
"Just tap it off, no worries"

"I would recommend an Aqua C skimmer as they are great performers"

Probably the two worst idea's I've lived through since 2003.
 
I was looking at a locals tank to purchase and when I looked at the bulkheads under the tank they were coated with salt creep. I went to touch it and the guy exclaimed, "Dont mess with that - there is a small leak, but I was told to just let the salt plug up the hole and it wont be an issue." I left pretty much right after that.
 
Many many years ago when I had my first fresh water tank, my LFS (in another state) told me...
"To do a water change, just siphon out 25%,
fill it back up with TAP water, THEN add Prime AFTER you fill the whole tank back up".

Needless to say - every single fish died that day.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new