Lets kick this thing off!

Saltwatertaylor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very sad to see this part of the forum isnt bumping. Us michigan reefers need to stay in touch on here, and use this to communicate with each other! Where is everyone on here from?! Would anyone on here be interested in swapping frags?

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are quite a few of us on R2R from MI. I am just outside of Murdertown, I mean Flint, MI.

OP
OP
S

Saltwatertaylor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol the two names go hand in hand... hahahah jk! I am located in plymouth/canton area! You ever venture out to tropiquarium?

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh of course! I have been going there since the early 90's... Dick and Ray Perrin used to only be open to the public on Sat and Sun, with Mon-Fri by appointment for wholesale. The Trop is without a doubt one of the BEST shops in the Nation, when it comes to shear volume of water and selection, they also have had a few over the top chalices come out of there!

I have a coral in my tank right now that is a direct lineage to the Trop from about 1993. It is a green trumpet coral that was one of my first ever coral purchases.

OP
OP
S

Saltwatertaylor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that is awesome. I have never visited it yet. I keep telling myself i'm going to go, but then I get busy with work etc. Sometime this week I will be going. Ive only heard wonderful things about it.

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, you really HAVE TO!!! It is a fantastic experience for sure. Just make sure to wear shorts, it gets very hot and humid in there, even in Feb!!! LOL There are some really cool sights, every time I have been there is something really cool and out of the ordinary. On my last visit, there was a Haddoni Anemone (I think) that was over 5 FEET across, it was H U G E!!!!

OP
OP
S

Saltwatertaylor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WHAT!?!? That sounds awesome.. I would kill to get a job there! Is there anyway to advertise this michigan reefer club on this site? Since this doesnt pop up on the recent forums, I feel like no one will see it. We need to do some recruiting ;)

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It pops up on the "New Posts" when you click there..... and I think it even shows on the front page, WHEN there is activity. ;)

OP
OP
S

Saltwatertaylor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol ;). You ever visited Fish doctors? Thats my main LFS. Usually have a great selection of corals and fish.

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been to the one in Ypsi a few times, yes good selection and good prices too.

Here is my short list of stores to make sure to see:

Tropicorium
Preuss Pets

Then there are several smaller shops that do very well, Reef Paradise in Flint, Kee's, and Moby's are also worth a trip. I've heard good things about Pet Connection, but have never been.

THere are a couple of new shops in my area, neither are any good though.

OP
OP
S

Saltwatertaylor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I frequently go to Preuss pets during the school year. They have an AWESOME selection there. Is there any clubs in michigan?

Blue Carbon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been to just about every store there is from Lansing to Detroit. Pet Connection in Livonia is the best by far. They have an amazing selection of corals and the usual selection of fish. If you are looking for something they don't have just ask and they can always try to order it for you. Ryan and Ken are the two managers there. I trust anything Ryan tells me. They have been my go to for the last 6 years since I got back into the hobby. I love stores that are always willing to give you good advice based on your goals. Not just sell you something that is going to fail. Helping you be successful in the hobby ensures you stay in the hobby a long time. Preuss is an amazing store as far as selection goes, their show tanks look awesome but their live stock is extremely expensive. I am referring to Saltwater, I have very limited experience in Freshwater. They also have the best used equipment department if you are looking for something on a budget. They are supposed to have a diligent QT process but I was there last week and saw a group of tanks with ICH (crypto) on the fish. Not worth paying $199.99 for a Desjardini Tang when I can get one for $80 - $100 from Pet Connection. I used to go to Fish Doctors in Canton but they are waaaay too overpriced now. For example the Bucket of Reef Crystals at Fish Doctors is $69.99 when at Pet Connection it is $53.99. I have no experience with the Ypsilanti store but last I knew it was the same owners. It was Juan and Marcus but I heard Marcus is no longer owner. It has been a long time since I have been to Tropiquarium but it is one of the stores that helped me fall in love with the hobby. Amazing place! Send me a private message if you have any other questions about stores. I am the guy that goes to stores and can spend hours there just watching the live stock and corals. I am always looking for new stores to go visit.

zsuzsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes pet connection for corals and know how, they are the best. Equipment on site... it’s preuss. tropicorium.... used to be “Thee” place, not anymore. IMO, they couldn’t have regressed any further without banging into China. Quite sad really. Fish doctors... no thanx ,there tanks are a mess and everything is overpriced . Just go see Ryan and ken at pet connection they know what’s up.... zsu

Cheryl’B

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been to just about every store there is from Lansing to Detroit. Pet Connection in Livonia is the best by far. They have an amazing selection of corals and the usual selection of fish. If you are looking for something they don't have just ask and they can always try to order it for you. Ryan and Ken are the two managers there. I trust anything Ryan tells me. They have been my go to for the last 6 years since I got back into the hobby. I love stores that are always willing to give you good advice based on your goals. Not just sell you something that is going to fail. Helping you be successful in the hobby ensures you stay in the hobby a long time. Preuss is an amazing store as far as selection goes, their show tanks look awesome but their live stock is extremely expensive. I am referring to Saltwater, I have very limited experience in Freshwater. They also have the best used equipment department if you are looking for something on a budget. They are supposed to have a diligent QT process but I was there last week and saw a group of tanks with ICH (crypto) on the fish. Not worth paying $199.99 for a Desjardini Tang when I can get one for $80 - $100 from Pet Connection. I used to go to Fish Doctors in Canton but they are waaaay too overpriced now. For example the Bucket of Reef Crystals at Fish Doctors is $69.99 when at Pet Connection it is $53.99. I have no experience with the Ypsilanti store but last I knew it was the same owners. It was Juan and Marcus but I heard Marcus is no longer owner. It has been a long time since I have been to Tropiquarium but it is one of the stores that helped me fall in love with the hobby. Amazing place! Send me a private message if you have any other questions about stores. I am the guy that goes to stores and can spend hours there just watching the live stock and corals. I am always looking for new stores to go visit.
Was wondering if you ever made it to Stingray Bay and your thoughts if you’ve been ther.

Hockeypunk1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish dr in Ypsi is my go to store. Tom is the owner and his prices are very fair and the livestock has always been healthy. He gives me a deal everytime I go in there. Unfortunately they don’t keep alot of stony corals but this is the only place I get fish. I live in Adrian and fish dr in Ypsi is the closest shop to me that I would deal with. I have been wanting to check out pet connection because I've heard good things. When I went to Preuss pets the prices were high and the acro tanks were loaded with red bugs. The fish had crypto as well but it is a cool store to walk around. Tropicoreum was very cool too. They have some huge holding tanks with all kinds of livestock almost overwhelming

zsuzsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish dr in Ypsi is my go to store. Tom is the owner and his prices are very fair and the livestock has always been healthy. He gives me a deal everytime I go in there. Unfortunately they don’t keep alot of stony corals but this is the only place I get fish. I live in Adrian and fish dr in Ypsi is the closest shop to me that I would deal with. I have been wanting to check out pet connection because I've heard good things. When I went to Preuss pets the prices were high and the acro tanks were loaded with red bugs. The fish had crypto as well but it is a cool store to walk around. Tropicoreum was very cool too. They have some huge holding tanks with all kinds of livestock almost overwhelming
Do yourself the favor and go to pet connection... zsu

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back