Let's see your T5 SPS tanks!

el_ote

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats a really interesting video. j love the side by side comparisons. I think ill pick up an actinic for my setup

evmibo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would this be too many coral plus?

1 B+
2 C+
3 B+
4 C+
5 C+
6 B+
7 C+
8 B+

If so, I will try:

1 B+
2 B+
3 C+
4 B+
5 B+
6 C+
7 B+
8 B+

jeremy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First one should be fine. I run 5 blue 3 coral in mine and I really like it.
front
blue
coral
blue
coral
blue
blue
coral
blue

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting!
This thread is so helpful for everyone.

evmibo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First one should be fine. I run 5 blue 3 coral in mine and I really like it.

What do you like about it? I'm split between it looking good and providing corals with a spectrum that can get them to grow and color up nicely.

jeremy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its nice bright combo with some blue in it still and coral plus bulb is a great daylight bulb that still has blue in it. Its a combo of blue plus, purple plus, aqua blue special. I get good color and good growth with this combo. If you want whiter go with 1 aqua blue special in place of coral plus.

jeremy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another good 8 bulb is 5 blue plus 2 purple plue 1 aqua blue special. Or instead of aqua blue the ge 6500k but its a bit too yellow tint for me but grows stuff real good.

evmibo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its nice bright combo with some blue in it still and coral plus bulb is a great daylight bulb that still has blue in it. Its a combo of blue plus, purple plus, aqua blue special. I get good color and good growth with this combo. If you want whiter go with 1 aqua blue special in place of coral plus.

Thanks. Yeah I like how the bulb is built on paper (~50% B+, ~40% ABS, ~10 P+). I will have to see how 4 B+ and 4 C+ look in person. I don't want whiter, so hopefully these C+ will be the ticket. Thanks!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good thread!

buddythelion

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes Darwin it's that red, but that's also what the right combo of T5s do. A lot of ligting will give you that rusty brick red flat look
instead of vivid popping reds. You gotta excite the pigments with the correct spectrum and intensity to
get good reds.

Reddragon080213_zpsc35ea6cf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

malucrab_zpsf68b623a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Watermelon_zps6b9aec66.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

T5s excel with all colors.
My current setup is 2 Coral+ and 2 Blue+

I just noticed that you run half coral + and half blue +. Doesn't the coral plus make the tank look a bit more on the white side? I have 3 blue + and one coral + and it's already a bit too white for my preference. Might have to look into going half and half and then just adding reefbrites.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I personally like the whiter brighter look...........there's a tinge of blue in the look still. If you're coming form being used to a 20k type look it will look too white till you get used to it. You have to live with it for a while and it will grow on you mainly because your coral colors will look and pop that much better.

The colors will actually be in the corals and not just looking a certain way because of colored water throwing fake colors on your corals.

There's also another aspect that's overlooked with this combo............because you're repeating and overlapping the same spectrum you can literally put the corals anywhere in the tank. The par will be even across the whole tank also. For example, at 10" from the lights the par is the same across the whole tank........front to back and side to side under the available coverage of the lights.

You only have to concern yourself with one thing and that's how much light the acro likes par wise.......how high or low intensity affects color/growth to your tastes.

Be careful with Reef brite Blues as add ons.............they will turn acans and chalices orange and also throw off your spectrum for the Sps. If you want more blue using Leds try to use something that is heavier on the blue but also has full spectrum characteristics. Or at the very least try to mix RB, blue and violets in the strip. I'd also only run the short term for viewing pleasure.

Fish Art

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree T5's give the best coral color and growth. I run ATI 54 watt bulbs, 3 true actinic, 3 blue plus, 1 purple plus and 1 Aqua blue special.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1403014858.897704.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1403015045.283074.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1403015081.356049.jpg

evmibo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big E,

I'll be going 50/50 B+ and C+ on my 8 bulb Sunpower. I was wondering if you could share anymore pictures, perhaps FTS as well. Also, I'm assuming the overall color in your pics is more whitish with a hint of blue? From the sound of it it seems like the spectrum is about 14k?

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back