Levels I should be testing

ReefGirl87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once adding corals to my tank, what are the most important levels I should be testing for to keep everyone alive, happy and healthy?

ChaseB143

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions as to a good quality, reliable test kit?
Any tips/tricks?
I use the Red Sea test kit for alkalinity, calcium, and mag. I’ll probably get the Red Sea nitrate test kit soon too because I don’t have a very good test for that. For phosphates I use the Hannah phosphate checker. The Hannah checkers are a bit pricey, but they make testing a whole lot easier because they give you a digital readout rather than you having to compare colors.

link81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
salifert, and red sea are good ones.
hanna is convenient, but only reliable for alk and po4 imo.

any i agree with the list above. alk being the most important imo because alk and calc tend to track each other and mag decreases very slowly.
po4 and no3 tend to stabilize out, I don't check them often.

alk: nearly daily
calc, mag, no3 monthly or so
po4 about every couple weeks.

check more often when changes are made, you'll see things stabilize out.

OP
OP
ReefGirl87

ReefGirl87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Red Sea test kit for alkalinity, calcium, and mag. I’ll probably get the Red Sea nitrate test kit soon too because I don’t have a very good test for that. For phosphates I use the Hannah phosphate checker. The Hannah checkers are a bit pricey, but they make testing a whole lot easier because they give you a digital readout rather than you having to compare colors.

Any difference in buying those kits individually or is the multi test kit the same, just all comes in one box? (Red Sea)

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 20+ years and trying more kits then I can shake a stick at, I've settled on the below mostly for simplicity of use, consistency, and value (price vs what it can actually do).

Salinity - refractometer that is calibrated before each use with 35ppt fluid
Alkalinity - Hanna checker (simple and consistent)
Calcium - Red Sea Pro (most consistent for me)
Magnesium - Salifert (simple, easy, and cheap)
Nitrate - Salifert (easiest to read on the low range for me)
Phosphate - Hanna ULR (there isnt anything that can do it at a decent price)

I've been using the AquaForest magnesium kit for a month or two and I have a love/hate relationship with it (I still prefer the Salifert).

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suggestions on a good quality refractometer?

I picked up a generic one on eBay for about $20. I was skeptical because it was cheap. But so far it has remained accurate and I’m happy with the purchase. Most important is to make sure it’s calibrated.
Good luck

Mtb_reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Hanna checkers for everything but NO3 and Mg. I use Red Sea and salifert respectively. I rely more on consistency over accuracy and Hanna has been very consistent. Just FOLLOW the directions. I think that where a lot of people mess up with Hanna. I also use the standard kits and calibrate once a month.

Luis1992

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought an established Reed from someone and after I got it moved to my place I tested my amonia, calcium, alk, ph, phosphates, salinity, magnesium and nitrates every two days. I was able to establish an average consumption doing this and am now dosing alk and calcium. Having great results with this

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Hanna checkers for everything but NO3 and Mg. I use Red Sea and salifert respectively. I rely more on consistency over accuracy and Hanna has been very consistent. Just FOLLOW the directions. I think that where a lot of people mess up with Hanna. I also use the standard kits and calibrate once a month.

I rather jab a fork under my toe nail than use a Hanna calcium checker!

Reefer40b

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
salifert, and red sea are good ones.
hanna is convenient, but only reliable for alk and po4 imo.

any i agree with the list above. alk being the most important imo because alk and calc tend to track each other and mag decreases very slowly.
po4 and no3 tend to stabilize out, I don't check them often.

alk: nearly daily
calc, mag, no3 monthly or so
po4 about every couple weeks.

check more often when changes are made, you'll see things stabilize out.
+1 I would say to check ALK weekly unless your making changes to it

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity - refractometer.

ALK - Hanna, Red Sea Pro or Salifert.

Ca - Red Sea Pro or Salifert.

Nitrate - Red Sea Pro or Salifert

Mg - Salifert

phosphorous I use Hanna ULR phosphorous.

For any test kit, it is a good idea to check out you tube videos on the test you are thinking of getting. It gives you a decent idea of the test and procedure. Also many tests require color discernment and some people have hard times with certain colors.

Bulk Reef Supply has some really good videos comparing the various test kits

JSully_94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought an established Reed from someone and after I got it moved to my place I tested my amonia, calcium, alk, ph, phosphates, salinity, magnesium and nitrates every two days. I was able to establish an average consumption doing this and am now dosing alk and calcium. Having great results with this

Can you go into more detail on how you went about establishing an average consumption?

link81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you go into more detail on how you went about establishing an average consumption?

basically just test daily at the same time every day and see how levels change. (mag most likely will not change that daily, should be able to test that 2x a week or even weekly to establish)

then you can get an average consumption. dose as necessary to make up whats removed from the water, and see how your consumption changes. after a while you get nearly balances out and can extend your testing frequency.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 55 32.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 45 26.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 32 18.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back