LF a Coral to put between Kenya Tree and RBTA

pvreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I've opened up a spot in my tank that sits between some Kenya Trees and some RBTAs. Are there any types of soft corals (or even LPS) that could occupy this space without getting stung by either the Kenya trees or the rbtas? I also wouldn't want the new coral to make the rbtas move away either.

I've tried doing some research but it doesn't sound like Kenyas get along with a lot of stuff. Open to any and all suggestions, thank you!

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I've opened up a spot in my tank that sits between some Kenya Trees and some RBTAs. Are there any types of soft corals (or even LPS) that could occupy this space without getting stung by either the Kenya trees or the rbtas? I also wouldn't want the new coral to make the rbtas move away either.

I've tried doing some research but it doesn't sound like Kenyas get along with a lot of stuff. Open to any and all suggestions, thank you!
Probably green star polyp.

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unfortunately there aren't many corals that wont get bothered by rbtas, you could put a large toadstool so only the stalk has a chance of being stung but it still may get irritated.

OP
OP
P

pvreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably green star polyp.
I'd be concerned with GSP just taking over the entire rock. What is the typical interaction between a GSP mat and rbtas? Anybody have experience with this?

I guess I should've clarified in my first post... this is on one large rock. I've managed to keep the Kenyas to one side (by plucking off all the little offspring) and the rbtas are happy on the other side of the rock. There's an open spot in between them now after I moved another frag to a different place.

OP
OP
P

pvreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it have to be coral? A nice display macroalgae like Botrycladia would look great and no worries about stinging. Dragons' breadth would be another stunner.

This is a good idea... something I will consider. I don't have much experience with macros at all... is it hard to keep them from spreading everywhere like other types of algae?

Can you post a picture so we can get an idea as to how much space there is between the kenya and the RBTAS?

This is probably what I should have started with. I'll take a new tank shot when I get home from work and post it.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a good idea... something I will consider. I don't have much experience with macros at all... is it hard to keep them from spreading everywhere like other types of algae?

This is probably what I should have started with. I'll take a new tank shot when I get home from work and post it.
Not in the least. Macros like Botrycladia sprout from a specific rooted point and branch. Others like Caulerpa will trail and become more invasive. Ulva in the display is my second worst enemy (Valonia, you'll rue the day you crossed me!). Halymenia (dragon's breath) will also be pretty easy and non-invasive. I'd say Botrycladia and Halymenia would be the most attractive additions between a kenya tree and BTA, BUT, what would really help is a picture of the space between the two. For example, if the space between is not a type of canyon structure and both are not too tall/high-up, Galaxaura would be another beautiful alternative between the two, and that grows as a bush-like structure (pom pom Gracilaria also does that). Hope that helps.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back